Latching problems after tongue tie division

(8 Posts)
Redbean730 Fri 29-Aug-14 08:57:54

My DD had her tongue tie division a week ago, she cant latch directly on my breasts afterwards without using the nipple shieldher. I try to put her on my breasts but she gets really angry when she get closer to them. It is really frustrating to see DD gets upset when I try to breastfeed her. Does anyone have similar experience?

SASASI Fri 29-Aug-14 09:53:40

I could have written this word for word - gotten tongue tie cut this week @ 10 days old. Support worker came the next day & he latched great with her help but myself I can only manage nipple shields & it's still painful!
He maybe feeds for 5mins, sleeps then looks on again. Gets very agitated which is upsetting when only trying to do heat is best!
No advice but just letting you know you are not alone. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

SASASI Fri 29-Aug-14 09:54:37

Sorry for typos! Pregnancy Carpel tunnel has still not disappeared!

Laquila Fri 29-Aug-14 09:57:57

Don't be discouraged - keep trying, but try not to force it if you can. Have you called the La Leche League helpline? Google for the number, and for meetings in your area.

We had my son's TT clipped at about 7 weeks - bf had been utter hell up til then but it did slowly get better - not instantly though so please don't lose hope!

gracegrape Fri 29-Aug-14 10:00:05

Do you have a cranial osteopath in your area? I had two sessions with my DD after her tongue tie separation and it really seemed to help her. I'm not too sure on the theory behind it but I think it can help to free the nerves in their tongue so they can learn to use it more easily?

Redbean730 Fri 29-Aug-14 10:38:20

Ya, the osteopathic consultant said her jaw is really tight due the the fast delivery. So although her tongue can move freely now but she holds it back when she gets on my breasts. I have booked an appointment with OCC to examine her on Monday and hope that they can help.

EllaRees Sat 30-Aug-14 15:28:44

My DS took a few days to latch after his tt was cut. It took a good few weeks of one step forward, two steps back, but as he got bigger he started to improve - I think it just takes time. I expressed after the main daytime feeds and he had one bottle of expressed milk each afternoon to be sure he would gain weight. Our antenatal group teacher gave the impression that as soon as you give a bottle, that's it for breastfeeding, so I was really anguished about doing it, but it was fine and helped him get strong enough to bf properly. Perhaps start the feed with the shields then swap sides without so she isn't frantic? Otherwise I'd just let some time pass then try again. Good luck.

Redbean730 Sat 30-Aug-14 16:30:20

I have tried to feed her with the shield for 5 mins then take it off or feed her on one side with the shield and the other side without. But she just gets extremely angry and cries her eyes out. I realise that when she tries on my breasts she holds her tongue back at the same time and she's not latching on properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now