How to convince a bottle refuser to accept a bottle?

(6 Posts)
UnfortunateUsername Thu 28-Aug-14 20:17:19

I'm going for a medical test tomorrow and will unfortunately need to take something that will mean that I shouldn't breastfeed for 24 hours after. Dh is currently attempting to convince our four month old to take a bottle and it's not going well.

Any advice on how we can convince him?

Philippalc Thu 28-Aug-14 21:28:41

This link discusses diagnostic testing and breastfeeding if you needed to double check the time interval as I'm sure 24 hrs will feel like a very long time for you both. Perhaps dad could try hiding the bottle in some clothing/towel etc and try to make it as much like a breast feed as possible. It may well go very smoothly when you are not there. An experienced bottle feeder can sometimes manage. Otherwise you could try a doidy cup, sippy cup etc (baby must be awake and alert). I bet other mothers will have more ideas for you.

UnfortunateUsername Thu 28-Aug-14 22:35:52

Wow thanks for that link! I'll show that to them tomorrow as it's the contrast for an mri that I had been told was the issue. I am dreading it especially as I'll be his sole carer most of the afternoon once the hospital test is finished. That article implies I should to able to bf straight after though which would be great.

DPotter Thu 28-Aug-14 22:51:54

DD was a bottle refuser so we used a spoon at first and then moved on to a sippy cup. worked like a dream - although I'm sure someone will tell me it was wrong................................

UnfortunateUsername Thu 28-Aug-14 22:57:09

I did pick up a sippy cup just in case. How long did the transition from spoon to cup take?

DPotter Sun 31-Aug-14 23:27:26

Sorry for not getting back to you.
Transistion from spoon to sippy cup was quick - it was more 'we'll try the spoon. OK that worked lets buy a sippy cup tomorrow' and off we go.
DD started on a standard sippy cup and then we moved on to one with a flange thing to slow down the rate of consumption.
Hope it works for you. It certainly made things a lot easier for us
Hope the medical test went well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now