Can I return this pile of shit?

(13 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 25-Aug-14 18:43:31

I bought a tommee tippee electric breast pump yesterday after my medela (2nd one in a row) aspirated my breastmilk and stopped working (why do they do this?) So i thought id change brands and see if that resolved the issue. Well i should have read the reviews on here first because if i had id have given it a miss. After 20mins of 'sucking' ive still not pumped an oz. Tge suction on it is rubbish, even on the highest setting.

I paid £99 for this and it doesnt even work but i dont think tesco will allow me to return it. Can anyone help me out here with the rules? How do i get my money back from this shit product? Im so annoyed about it.

Vitalstatistix Mon 25-Aug-14 19:00:24

I think (I am not an expert, it is just something I remember reading about) that if a product is not fit for purpose then you are covered legally and they can't refuse to replace it/refund you. Look up sale of goods.

PushPineapple Mon 25-Aug-14 19:16:15

What is the seal like around your nipple on the tommee tippee- if it's not fully sealed, then it's not going to create the vacuum needed to express the milk.

chocolatemartini Mon 25-Aug-14 20:03:18

Tommee tippee one I had was completely useless too

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Mon 25-Aug-14 20:05:45

Agreed they are useless!!! Luckily mine also got a crack in it within a week so I returned it as faulty to mothercare (it really was but also a lucky coincidence!!) if you are looking for another I'd recommend Avent grin

stargirl1701 Mon 25-Aug-14 20:10:53

Speak to Trading Standards at your local council. If the pump is not fit for purpose, you have rights under the law. Trading Standards can advise.

BobPatandIgglePiggle Mon 25-Aug-14 20:12:01

I returned one to Asda. I was 3 days post c section and slightly scarey - the young lad on the till just nodded silently and gave me my money back.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 25-Aug-14 20:45:04

Right, I will drop breast pump from a height so that it cracks, nip back to Tesco tomorrow, adopt a 3-days post c-sect look (any ideas on hair? Make-up?), march over to customer services, accost a spotty, new-looking teenage boy at the desk, and demand a full refund for breast pump not being fit for purpose quoting the sales of goods act 1979 whilst pointing at painfully engorged breasts. Do you think i'll get my money back? £99 fucking quid. I will not be leaving that store until i do.

Em1503 Mon 25-Aug-14 21:26:31

I returned my avent electric breast pump to mothercare yesterday. It was faulty as the motor kept cutting out but they refunded me without barely questioning me as to what was up with it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 26-Aug-14 20:56:04

Success! I took the breastpump back to tesco today, all geared up for a fight and they refunded me no questions! I used the money to buy a closed suction breastpump by lansinoh which has good reviews and hopefully i wont get the same issue with milk being sucked back the wrong way. Phew!

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Wed 27-Aug-14 16:48:37

Well done :-) x

stargirl1701 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:51:38

Excellent! Well done Tesco!

SaggyAndLucy Thu 28-Aug-14 01:42:57

Tommee Tippee pumps should be bloody well banned!! I've got the stupid manual one. I used it when DD was in the NICU and the electrical one on my room was being a bit strong.
I ended up with FOUR blocked ducts, 2 in each breast and was in agony. It took me days of electric pumping to clear them.
I thought this was a one of so used it again a few weeks later and the same thing happened. It's no flipping joke when you're exclusively expressing. you don't get milk, babies don't get fed!angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now