6 weeks old and never had a bottle. ..

(9 Posts)
icklekid Mon 25-Aug-14 06:34:19

So had intended to try before however when I tried to express found it painful and got very little. Tried again yesterday and much better so I now have a bottle of breastmilk in the fridge but ds is 6 weeks...any tips for teaching him to use a bottle? Fingers crossed it's not too late as would like dh to be able to feed/me to be able to go out or have a break!

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Mon 25-Aug-14 06:45:21

Babies learn to take bottles at all ages, don't worry. Just don't assume it will work first time, and steel yourself for the possibility that the milk may get tipped down the sink (I found it heartbreaking when my painfully expressed milk got tossed if DD wasn't in the mood for a bottle).

We found it worked best when I was completely out of the house (DH gives DD bottles, I never do), and DD in a different position to bf - DH lies her on his knees with her feet facing him to give her a bottle, or puts her in her bouncer now her head is stronger.

Springcleanish Mon 25-Aug-14 06:48:07

Wait till baby's hungry, warm milk, give bottle to DH, clear out of room!

I know it's not always that simple, but it might be, it was for both of ours, and they were this age. Make sure you're not around, if you are they'll cry for you and be more likely to refuse the bottle. Good luck

AwesomeSuperTasty Mon 25-Aug-14 07:20:20

It really depends on the baby, some take to it sooner than others. Personally, I wish I had started earlier than I did (6 weeks). My baby never took to the bottle, no matter what trick we tried. We tried different bottles too and when in tried the NUK bottle he suddenly started drinking from it (aged 12 weeks I think). He only ever drank 40-50ml from it though.

A friend's baby started early on the bottle but my friend didn't give her the bottle regularly and she kind of 'forgot' how to use it. When the baby was 16 weeks she had to go into a nursery and refused bottles, so had to be taught all over again how to use it. There are all sorts really!

PuppyMummy Mon 25-Aug-14 08:02:12

I didn't start expressing and using a bottle until mine was 6 weeks. it took that long for me to feel we had properly got the hang of BF and I didn't want to risk spoiling that!

He took a bottle fine. He isnt thrilled with it but will have it. im now planning to express and make sure he has a bottle once a week or so to 'keep his hand in' so to speak!

He is 11 weeks and it seems to be working.

Philippalc Mon 25-Aug-14 10:20:11

You may find this link useful Tips to bottle feed a breastfed baby

icklekid Mon 25-Aug-14 11:11:12

Thanks for all the advice and especially that website, really useful thank you!

hollie84 Mon 25-Aug-14 14:04:24

With both mine I just put a bottle in their mouth and they took it, one at 4 weeks and one at 8 weeks. With DS2 it was only ever a dream feed at first so he was taking it in his sleep and didn't seem to notice a difference. They had both had dummies.

icklekid Mon 25-Aug-14 22:20:00

Well he took it no problem smile hollie he does have a dummy (that he/I love!) and wondered if that would affect/help. All good news anyway- he gozzled it down so ended up having to top up with breast anyway. Just have to express more nexr time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now