4 m/o not interested in feeding

(5 Posts)
Loops81 Sat 23-Aug-14 21:56:01

For about a month now I've been struggling to breastfeed my (now) 4 m/o. She feeds in really short bursts - often only a minute or two - before coming off to smile at me, coo or look around. Gets upset if I try to get her to feed more. Sometimes refuses outright.

She is generally happy, filling nappies just about, and gaining weight (although much smaller than other babies we know her age). Because of this no one else (husband, health visitor) can understand why I am worried but I find it hard to believe she is getting all she needs in such short feeds. It also makes going out really difficult because I've never been comfortable feeding in public and get embarrassed when she inevitably pulls off because she is too distracted.

She feeds better when relaxed before bed and wakes once or twice at night for feeds, but when I've tried to feed in dark/quiet during the day it doesn't make a difference. I'd really like to stop breastfeeding now because it's getting me down - but of course she won't take a bottle! Anyone been through anything similar or have any advice?

TipTapWentTheCrab Sat 23-Aug-14 22:36:28

Yes, mine was too distractable to bf at that age, and I've known other babies do it too.
I freaked out like you, but I couldn't find anything to do about it, and like other phases it passed and she calmed down without apparent ill effect.

First encouraging thing I can say is that as they get older you do expect them to have shorter feeds (although I'm not in a position to confirm your timings in particular).

Second thing is that I think this happens because they've just gained the ability to see more and everything's fascinating to them. For DD the silver lining was that she was OK about me leaving her to admire the scenery for a bit instead of demanding to be held all the time.

I have no advice, sorry, but I sympathise about the distracted baby.

My DS loves to sweep his head round with my nip still clenched in his jaws (ouch) or smile up at me and chat and ... Oooh! The cat! Haha! Daddy! Hmmm! The sofa cushions! I have taken to draping a muslin over him to get him to concentrate which rarely sometimes works.

Good job he's so amazing.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 23-Aug-14 22:45:12

It's a big old interesting world out there and she's excited by it, they all do this, but I can promise you she will be getting enough milk - she's probably just v efficient, she won't starve herself trust me smile

Philippalc Sun 24-Aug-14 19:52:12

It's very common. You may find this article reassuring Fussy Baby at 4 Months (scroll down to Too Busy to Breastfeed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now