Blocked ducts 5 months in, sorted but how to avoid reoccurring

(5 Posts)
Littlef00t Thu 21-Aug-14 22:27:40

So my right boob has been playing up a bit recently, been tender etc but I just put it down to sleeping on it and dd going longer at night.

Except today I finally realised I had proper blocked ducts, dd basically refusing to feed from that side, rock solid painful boob all over, complete with a white dot on my nipple that's been there for weeks but I hadn't thought anything of.

Managed to clear it after intensive pumping in a hot bath (and some v dodgy things with scissors I don't really want to think about) but worried about it coming back. The dot is still there.

Please can you advise me what I should be doing? Just carry on as usual but be a bit more mindful? I'd been favouring that side for night feeds so I wasn't sleeping on a full boob, but maybe this is encouraging more milk and bit of a vicious cycle? Do I need to worry the white dot is still there?

Philippalc Sat 23-Aug-14 11:47:03

These two articles will hopefully help Breasts Full and Tender and Mastitis Symptoms and Treatment. In the mastitis one there is a section about repeated episodes of blocked ducts/mastitis. Yes paying very careful attention to positioning and maybe trying breast compressions will make sure the breast is drained. The dot could be a bleb or something else, read more here Hope that helps.

Littlef00t Sat 23-Aug-14 22:36:52

Thanks smile

Littlef00t Sat 23-Aug-14 22:39:34

Just had a read, some v useful tips, thanks so much for posting!

mrsnest Mon 25-Aug-14 14:55:06

I've been having this too. I did recently try Lecithin for a couple days when I was having my last incident of plugged ducts and it sorted me right out in about a day, kind of amazing. I think some people carry on taking 1x/day for a long time. I guess it improves viscosity of milk. I'm just keeping it on standby incase they come back (which I think might be due to stress?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now