Anyone breastfeeding and have Raynaud's?

(6 Posts)
GrouchyKiwi Thu 21-Aug-14 12:57:42

If so, do you have any tips for how to cope with an episode during a feed?

This colder weather is making things difficult and sore! And I don't recall having issues with DD1 so not sure what to do.

Cocothecat Fri 22-Aug-14 23:01:53

Yes. Not much fun is it. I had it badly with my first, and thought this time around I might have escaped, but I'm in the same part of the world, and the cold weather isn't helping. I am hoping that it stays with a little ache and doesn't develop any further!!!

In general, I found that you need to be sure that the latch is perfect every time - I had trouble initially with DS1, and I think thats where everything started going wrong. Also, I stayed off caffeine, and got a prescription for nifedipine (sp??) which helped in the long term.

When I was having trouble... I made sure that the room was nice and warm. Cold def. makes it worse. At night I had a blanket or a dressing gown to put over my shoulders as well. I always wore a bra, even at night, because for some reason it hurt more if I didn't. Used wheat packs / hot water bottles before and afterwards.

If I had white nipples, it would often feel numb so less painful, but it would hurt like crazy afterwards, so I would always wait till I got the feeling/colour back before starting.

And after all of that.... if it was still hurting... I would set the timer on my phone for 10 minutes and count down. After that I would swap sides/have a rest for 10 mins and go back to it if the baby was still hungry. Somehow I could cope if I felt like I only had to last for x more minutes. Also, I found it was less painful to express than feed, so I would sometimes give one side a rest for a day if it was really sore, and use a pump/bottle.

Anyway, it can be pretty rough, but I found that it eased over time,and it actually was OK after a while (his mouth got bigger? The weather improved? The nifedipine?) and I was sad to stop in the end.

Taystee Sat 23-Aug-14 06:46:43

I suffered terribly with this in the early months of breastfeeding. I read somewhere about taking evening primrose oil to help which I tried as was nervous about taking nifedipine.
I took 1000mg 3 times a day. It took a couple weeks to start improving. I can't say for sure that it was down to the EPO but when I stopped taking it for a little while the pain came back.
Hope you manage to find something that works for you.

Taystee Sat 23-Aug-14 09:45:51

Oh and I got this info from Wendy at the Breastfeeding Network

*High dose 3-6g per day
.Takes 6 weeks to achieve any response
.One small clinical trial to support
.Reduced number and severity of attacks although it doesn't increase blood flow .Showed that fatty acids in evening primrose oil (EPO) inhibit the formation of prostaglandins that promote vaso-constriction.
.A double-blind trial of 21 people with Raynaud'sdisease found that, compared with placebo, supplementation with EPO reduced the number and severity of attacks despite the fact that blood flow did not appear to increase.
Belch JJF, Shaw B, O'Dowd A, et al. Evening primrose oil (Efamol) in the treatment of Raynaud'sphenomenon: A double-blind study.
ThromHaemost1985;54(2):490-4.*

GrouchyKiwi Mon 25-Aug-14 13:55:36

Thanks, both. I'll try the EPO, I think. It has other benefits too.

MagpieMama Mon 25-Aug-14 15:17:57

I used to put heat pads in my bra between feeds which helped with the pain. I also took paracetamol on particularly bad days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now