Donating breast milk

(4 Posts)
ElleDubloo Tue 19-Aug-14 11:19:09

I came across this while browsing online for breastfeeding information. Apparently you can donate breast milk (similar to donating blood) by pumping a bit extra, freezing it, and giving it to a maternity hospital that participates in the scheme. It's then used to feed premature babies whose mummies haven't started making their own milk yet.

The official website is this: www.ukamb.org/ You can also find information on the Babycentre and NCT websites.

What do you all think? Has anyone had any experience with this?

I haven't heard of it before but it sounds like a great idea. I'm 30+2 pregnant at the moment, and if I'm blessed with the ability to make lots of breastmilk, I think this would be the most amazing thing to do.

Victoria2002 Tue 19-Aug-14 16:59:04

I did for 6m. I suffered badly with over supply and over active let-down, and was initially very frustrated that all the health visitor could suggest was donating the excess! Once I got some decent advise from friends and stopped leaking through all my clothes/drowning ds I looked into it. I donated to the special care baby unit at queen charlottes in London. They made everything super-easy. They sent me a blood test kit I took to my local GP practice nurse (she took samples and sorted it). They send you a freezer thermometer and bottles with personalised labels, then they send a motorbike courier at a time of your choosing to collect the milk regularly. I felt very grateful for the safe delivery of my little one and felt it was nice to "give something back" and help those less fortunate. The premature babies drink tiny quantities so you can just donate a little each day and still make a big difference. The milk bank organises an annual picnic etc also. My only tip would be to rent/buy/borrow a good quality pump, my friend lent me her medela swing so donating took about 10 mins a day.

Eyespy24 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:41:27

I have just had my appointment & blood test to donate to my local milk bank. They are lending me an electric pump.
If you have a good supply it's a lovely thing to do.

Superworm Tue 19-Aug-14 19:44:07

I donated to the milk bank and it was super easy and a wonderful experience. They held coffee mornings by the special care ward and showed you around. Some weeks the don't use any formula at all. Was a lovely thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now