2weeks old and farts more than burps

(5 Posts)
Lolokins Sun 17-Aug-14 13:13:20

Our baby daughter is now 2 weeks old. She will generally do one good burp immediately on lifting after a feed or none at all. Is there a recommended amount of time you shpuld work with a little one to get them to burp? Hubby and I have spent anywhere up to 30mins trying to wind with mininal results - usually hiccups.

Also she has started doing realky loud farts. Mostly this happens when she is asleep with minimal effort but sometimes it seems to cause her discomfort. Are farts a sign we aren't getting all her burps up or should we expect both?

By the way she is BF only baby

mine used to fart more than burp too. I figured that as long as it came out one end then it didnt matter which one it was!

ShadowStar Sun 17-Aug-14 13:40:24

DS2 was a very farty baby.

Hardly any burps, but loads of farting. It didn't seem to bother him.

DS2 is also breastfed, but I don't know how much difference that makes.

Lagoonablue Sun 17-Aug-14 13:43:31

I never used to burp my BF babies after a feed tbh. They take in less air than a bottle fed baby I've heard. If you don't get a burp quite soon after a feed, just leave it. I used to hold DS over my shoulder and the pressure on his tummy sometimes used to dislodge a burp or a big trump!

Lolokins Sun 17-Aug-14 17:10:33

Yeah all the books say bf babies dont have as much wind but we were worried as she was lifting her wee legs that she had lots of wind and couldnt get rid. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now