6 mo has mucousy diarrhoea - over 2 weeks now

(9 Posts)
sleepywombat Sun 17-Aug-14 06:50:29

The whole family have had in the last couple of weeks or have colds atm - ds3, 6 mo, has had green or yellow mucousy diarrheoa for the duration. He has a runny nose now, but didn't last week.

Could a cold be causing this or is it unlikely given that it has lasted such a long time? The reason why I am particularly concerned as we have multiple allergies in our family. Ds3 is breastfed & I am dairy, gluten & soy free. Prior to this, his poos were normal yellow/brown seedy & only once or twice a day (now after every feed). However, I know that allergies can 'build up' - my ds2 was given pepti formula for a while - it started off just making him congested, then progressed to giving him full blown green diarrhoea with blood (no mucous though).

He has no other symptoms except that he is even more difficult to get to sleep than usual (but could be overtiredness as poos/nappy changes keep getting in the way!).

Would be interested to hear your experiences!

StillWishihadabs Sun 17-Aug-14 07:00:31

You are right to be worried, but as I read it he is ebf and you are on a soy and dairy free diet, so that is pretty hypo- allergenic. The next step is a hydrolysed formula such as neocate. I would watch for a bit longer, is he still gaining weight ?

sleepywombat Sun 17-Aug-14 07:05:40

Yes still gaining weight.

There is no way I will go down the neocate route, been there done that with ds2! I will just push solids & get him going with meat stocks if necessary, but was really hoping to continue breastfeeding this time. I don't think he's quite ready for solids (no sitting up, not interested in food yet...).

What do you think about lactose intolerance following a virus (have been googling)?

thatsn0tmyname Sun 17-Aug-14 07:11:00

My daughter went through a phase of producing snotty, mucousy poos. It's a combination of having a snotty nose and pre-teething salivary poo. She's 10 months now and still no teeth but she was fuming and chewing alot at that stage.

thatsn0tmyname Sun 17-Aug-14 07:11:31

Guming not fuming!

sleepywombat Sun 17-Aug-14 07:12:53

Thanks, thatsn0t..., how long did it last?

StillWishihadabs Sun 17-Aug-14 07:33:06

Yes that's what I was thinking, adenovirus is particularly known for it. But breast milk is the best a allowing gut flora (or healthy bacteria) to re-colonise.

Superworm Sun 17-Aug-14 22:47:59

DS has had the same thing for the last 3-4 weeks. There is a bug going around at the moment. I think he developed a bit of lactose intolerance hence why it's lasted so long but it seems to be clearing up now.

DS had dairy and soy allergies too so I understand the worry. His poo can change a lot and viruses are a big culprit usually.

sleepywombat Mon 18-Aug-14 01:49:40

Thank you v much, really helpful. I think I will hope it is virus-induced & give it a week longer (unless other symptoms) before I start to really panic re yet more allergies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now