Change from Aptamil Comfort? Advice please!

(11 Posts)
Chickencurrykm Fri 15-Aug-14 14:26:27

Hi

I'm a first time Mum to a 16 day old little girl. She has been suffering badly from colic and screaming for hours on end for the last ten days.

I am bottle feeding and was using SMA and Avent anti colic bottles made up using the Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine.

When the colic started we introduced Infacol on the advice of the midwife. We saw little improvement from this after using for 5 days. People at work then recommended Aptamil Comfort and under the pressure of a screaming and poorly baby we went and bought some and changed her over.

She's only been on the Comfort milk for two days, the first day we saw no change at all. The midwife also came and I could tell she wasn't happy we'd changed the milk and that we had changed to Comfort. She said changing milk upsets their tummy and not to change again. She also recommended changing her bottles and mentioned the Perfect Prep machine may be causing issues?

So I now have MAM bottles, Infacol and the Comfort milk and she is way better in herself barely crying and sleeping like a baby. (I'm still using the Perfect Prep)

Now however I'm under less pressure and able to think/research the milk more and I feel really uncomfortable leaving her on it. Reviews are mixed and it doesn't feel right to restrict her diet so early on etc. I would therefore like to take her off it and test out whether the bottles and Infacol alone are enough to improve the colic for her. I would probably try the normal Aptamil milk to keep things as close as possible?

Would really appreciate some advice on this - can I swap and if yes can I just do it?? Anyone else had problems with the Perfect Prep machine? Thoughts in general please?

Any help would be gratefully received x

PisforPeter Fri 15-Aug-14 14:34:22

My DS was on Aptamil Comfort till about 8m I think & then we switched back to the Aptamil Blue. He is 2 now & very well grown. He had terrible colic & it really helped. What are you worried about??
I wouldn't switch again yet.
I know all the info can seem overwhelming in the early days -- when you're completely knackered --

Chickencurrykm Fri 15-Aug-14 15:55:06

I don't know really! Think it was more the Midwife reaction and then I went to Google and now I'm worried! I suppose mostly I'm worried I'm preventing her digestion system from developing by reducing the lactose? Also, all posts comment on how thick the milk is but I find it to be more runny so I'm worried I'm not making it up correctly. Finally I'm worried she'll now be constipated where she was fine before - lots of people comment on this and she's only done one poo since she's been on it though it wasn't hard! She also seems to be drinking slightly less and it feels like it has taken ages to build her up this far! One last thing, colic is only supposed to last a few weeks but could she now be on this 'special' milk until she's a year?

Sorry for the random rant, I just don't know what to do for the best! X

hollie84 Fri 15-Aug-14 15:57:21

I would switch if you want to. "Colic" just means crying, it might not have anything to do with the milk at all - she might just have been overtired, overstimulated, getting used to the world, needing a dummy, getting over the birth.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 15-Aug-14 15:58:21

Tbh of it suits her better then keep using it. It's lower lactose not no lactose.

Memphisbelly Fri 15-Aug-14 16:02:28

I think the mw wasn't happy as ds had bad colic and if you change the milk you should change it ounce by ounce so they get used to it slowly, they also don't seem to like you using the comfort.

I asked if it was ok to change to Comfort and was advised not to instead she advised to change brand of milk, we went onto Hipp Organic it improved him almost instantly, we battled with colic for around 6 weeks before changing though.

PisforPeter Fri 15-Aug-14 16:03:20

TBH if your baby is settled, I wouldn't change anything grin

FelixFelix Fri 15-Aug-14 16:05:49

I wouldn't worry. Leave her on the comfort milk if she's happy!

DD had terrible trouble with her stomach when we changed her on to formula, and we tried Hipp, Cow & Gate then Aptamil comfort. I was worried about trying too many different ones but the Aptamil comfort changed her in to a different baby!! She's been on it ever since and had no problems at all (now 7.5 months).

FelixFelix Fri 15-Aug-14 16:07:02

Also I found it runnier than all other milks I tried so don't worry about that either grin

Chickencurrykm Fri 15-Aug-14 18:34:00

Thanks everyone, think I'll stay as I am as at least she's settled! You've helped put my mind at ease smile Being a Mum is not easy x

PisforPeter Sat 16-Aug-14 12:32:16

I'm glad you're happy now chickencurry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now