Help! Blood blister on nipple...

(6 Posts)
Sid77 Fri 15-Aug-14 09:30:35

I've been ebf my DS2 for 10 months and this morning I've got a whacking great blood blister on my poor left nipple. DS2 has been poorly and very grouchy, so he's been sleeping in bed with me and we had a lying down snugly feed this morning - he obviously wasn't latched on properly because I've just noticed a big old red blob on my nipple. I know it's the fault of the latch, but what can I do about it now? It hurts and I know it's going to hurt more when I feed him again, which will prob be in about an hour. Any advice? Pop it? Leave it? Soak it? Argh! I thought at 10 months I'd left those problems behind!!

Sid77 Fri 15-Aug-14 13:27:48

Bump...

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 15-Aug-14 20:21:45

I had this with ds when he was less than a week old. Like a bright red shiny blob right on the nipple. It was SO uncomfortable. I was told by the midwife to just more or less ignore it, feed through It, rub a bit of lansinoh on it. It cleared up by the time my milk came in so must have literally been a day, 2 days max that it was there. It was short lived!

SaggyAndLucy Sat 16-Aug-14 00:37:23

I've got a normal blister on mine caused by expressing.
there's not a lot you can do I'm afraid. I've had several. I wouldn't pop it unless it's impeding your milk flow. you don't want an infection!
my tip? A wooden spoon to bite down on. As you've probably found out by now, it's bloody painful! it'll go down in a day or two.
personally I wouldn't put anything on it. you want it to dry out.

Philippalc Mon 18-Aug-14 13:51:03

Hi, I hope by now the blister is healing. If not you might find the first paragraph of this article helpful Blisters on Nipples

Sid77 Wed 20-Aug-14 13:40:53

Thanks ladies - it popped of its own accord on Sunday! Now have a little raw patch where it was, I'm still feeding and putting lansinoh on between I feeds to help it heal. Thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now