Bf, teething and nipples!

(8 Posts)

My dd is just over 8 months now and yesterday I noticed my nipples were sore, they're ok when she's feeding unless she's moves so don't think it's her latch but we've spotted two new teeth this morning. Could they have scraped my nipple somehow?
Also at bedtime she seems to pull of my nipple and almost headbutt me a bit, is she trying to get the letdown going? I have noticed that it seems to take a bit longer for the letdown to happen, is this a sign my milk is drying up? She's been asking for it less during the day as she's loving the solid food but I still feed her to sleep if we are at home for naps. She still feeds a ridiculous amount in the night though. Don't really know what I'm asking on that front but does it seem normal? I don't want my milk to go.

fivepies Thu 14-Aug-14 08:57:38

I think it's unlikely that your milk is drying up after 8 months established breastfeeding. Your hormones can cause changes. Could your period be coming? I find I have a temporary drop in milk levels before I'm due on.
Regarding the teeth, yes, they could be catching your nipples. My daughters seemed to do it on purpose (getting used to having teeth) so I'd take them off, tell them to be gentle, and put them back on again.

Thank you.i haven't had a period yet so I'll have to wait and see on that one! Will make sure she's not scraping me. She's just had a feed and the left nipple is definitely sore. I think it is teeth rather than the latch which still looks good to me. Glad my milk should be ok. I think she may be taking less when she feeds because she's eating solids as well but that's ok isn't it? My milk will just adjust but it won't go completely?

whitemusk Thu 14-Aug-14 09:09:18

Hi there, it does sound normal. By eight months babies are distractible and can get a bit lazy with latch and position eg wriggling around and taking the nipple with them. If they are feeding correctly though the tongue covers the bottom teeth and the nipple is protected in the mouth, the top teeth won't rest on the nipple either. Only when your baby comes off the breast is there really a moment when the teeth could graze the nipple. As long as milk is taken from the breasts more milk will be made on a supply and demand basis. Supply will drop with more solids but it won't spontaneously dry up. If you do have less milk she may be a little frustrated with the flow. You could take a step back with the amount of solids and encourage a few more feeds. Breastfeeding before meals until the age of one is recommended by La Leche League as milk continues to be the superior source of nutrition throughout the first year. Not sure if this article may be of interest it's about a 4 month old but can equally apply to 8 months (scroll down) Too Busy to Breastfeed

Thanks whitemusk that's helpful. Because she feeds to sleep I've tended to give her solids when she wakes up from her naps, is that ok? She's still having loads at night so she's still getting quite a lot of milk from me just not when I want her to have it hmm
Anyway I've bunged on so e lansinoh and if she starts playing sillybuggers I will take her off and get her to re latch.will also check out that link thank you.

whitemusk Thu 14-Aug-14 11:42:53

You could try reminding her to breastfeed during the day it might help flip it around. If you're worried that your breastmilk supply may have dropped offering the breastfeed before the solids will help with that. Some early weaning foods eg fruit or veg purees are lower calorie than breastmilk and baby may respond by taking more breastmilk at night to try to make up. Baby led weaning will help your little one avoid over filling on solids (whereas with spoon feeding there is more of an opportunity for baby to take more than they really need). It may help to think of breastmilk continuing to be the principle food source for the first year with the solid foods as a compliment to that, rather than solid food replacing milk feeds. Hope that helps.

Thank you, I'm doing a mixture of finger food and purée but will try feeding her before I give her anything.

WhatsMyAgeAgain Thu 14-Aug-14 19:32:31

I'm having exactly the same problem! Teeth at top and bottom and a lot of pain. I wandered if it was a blocked duct.

I've been trying to offer less in the day as I'm back at work next week so LO will be going 9 hours without a feed.

Flipping painful at the moment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now