Breast to bottle

(12 Posts)
LynnieT49 Mon 11-Aug-14 10:37:39

Any tips on how to move a baby from breast to bottle? I've tried various teats and asked other people to give it a go but no luck! He screams blue murder and no milk is taken. Baby is 5 months old. Thanks

Imeg Mon 11-Aug-14 14:17:45

I've been trying this with limited success (baby also 5 months) but my mum is making progress with persuading him to drink from an open cup. It sounds like it's slow and messy but he does take some (she thought around 80ml last time though it's hard to be sure).

LynnieT49 Mon 11-Aug-14 16:00:18

Not many downsides to breastfeeding but this is starting to stress me out. It's good, in a way, though to know I'm
not alone! Good luck!

mrsmugoo Mon 11-Aug-14 20:30:35

Watching with interest as my 5 month old steadfastly refuses all bottles and cups. Starting to really want a tiny bit more freedom. He's a frequent feeder and I struggle to even go to the hairdressers or a waxing appointment because he's a nightmare to leave.

jayney86 Thu 14-Aug-14 10:16:58

Also watching this page with interest. My daughter is 6 mo, I've started weaning her on puréed food & wanting to progress onto bottle too (I'm probably going back to work in November). She's refused 3 different types of teat (different flows & makes), a beaker and a sippy cup. Getting stressed out with it now as she's also started teething and like to chew on my nipples (sorry if TMI) so I'm sore as well sad !
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LynnieT49 Thu 14-Aug-14 14:30:32

I feel your pain! Hope to start weaning in a few weeks and health visitor seems to think he will take to a cup no bother but I'm not convinced! The boobs are just too comforting for them!x

Woodenheart Thu 14-Aug-14 14:37:15

My DD would only drink from the Mam bottles with size 1 teat,

we tried lots of others, she is 15 months now, still BF at home but she will still take the Mam bottle with cows milk in.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 14-Aug-14 19:41:27

I have left DS on one occasion and provided my sister with a bottle of EBM and a syringe smile

He happily took it cold as well, straight from the fridge, which I was really surprised about!!

I will be watching this thread with interest!!

mangofizz Thu 14-Aug-14 20:58:35

My DS is 19weeks and has taken a bottle very well right from the start (had to top up with expressed and formula due to weight gain issues)
He still has one bottle each night (expressed if I've got enough, formula if not) but has started to refuse it, he now will only take a bottle from me and that's only after a meltdown. I'm a bit scared to stop giving him a bottle as I still worry about weight so I'd be looking for tips on how to turn around a refuser who previously took one no problem!

museumum Thu 14-Aug-14 21:08:52

I failed utterly but started giving a free flow cup at 6mo with water in it and feeding him porridge made with milk. He took quickly to food and got better and better with the cup till we were confident enough to put milk in the cup.

He took bottles from birth up to three months then utterly refused and has never had a bottle or accepted a soft spout cup since. I was so stressed about this but at 6mo with starting weaning everything sorted itself out fine and he was able to take food and water when I worked.

amicusapple Sun 17-Aug-14 20:31:05

I'm in the process of trying to wean from breast to free flow cup. Got a deadline of 7 weeks to get it cracked as have a big event I'd like to attend so watching with interest.

Managed to maybe get about 60ml down over the course of the day.

Museummum - at what age did your LO manage milk from the cup?

sunshine05 Mon 18-Aug-14 19:51:08

mangofizz I have a previous bottle taker who is now refusing! I am bf but we introduced a bottle at the dream feed at 1 month and he took it fine. He then started refusing it around 7 months. Now we've dropped the dream feed but I was keen to keep one bottle a day so introduced it at the 2pm feed. He refused a bottle point blank but have had some success with a nuby beaker. He does prefer it opened so he sips from it like a cup but it's SO messy. Sorry no tips or advice, struggling here but I'm looking to wean mine onto formula and so far it's been a struggle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now