He's on a strike :(

(6 Posts)

I know what I am doing and am still breastfeeding my 2 year old after a very rocky start but I have managed to put my 2 week old off breastfeeding to the point he will not latch on at all.

Please tell me they can and actually do go back to the breast? It's been since day 4 or 5 so over a week now sad

5madthings Mon 04-Aug-14 22:01:19

He is still tiny and learning!

Some babies take weeks to get it.

What do you think put him off?

And have you tried letting him do the breast crawl? Latching whilst he is asleep or sleepy or in the bath, bed etc?

How are you feeding him, bottle or syringe/cup?

Yes tried the crawl with no luck.he just gets very frustrated. He will now come near me and sometimes allow me to get nipple near his mouth but he just mouths it.

It was a combination of my stress about him waking ds1 up at night if ds2 woke for a feed, ds1 screaming whenever ds2 was trying to feed and me being stressed about that. That all started him having trouble and then he had his tongue tie cut at 5 days old and has refused to latch since.

I'm distraught because he actually fed really well before which I wasn't expecting as ds1 was a very hard baby to feed due to my constant pain. I thought I was going to experience what it was like to breastfeed normally!

We are using mam bottles now, tried syringe but he takes 120ml feeds so it's not realistcly possible any other way...so very worried he's going to prefer bottle now. I have managed latch him for a couple if sucks a few times but because there's no immediate flow and my let is very slow he comes off. I am trying to syringe milk in the side of his mouth at the same time as latching to give him the feeling of getting milk from me but it's very tricky.

Feel so guilty...

Yes tried bath also and he sleeps next to me skin to skin all night and just gets frustrated if u try and latch any time whether sleepy or not

5madthings Mon 04-Aug-14 22:26:22

What about those nursing supplement ssystems that adoptive mothers use sometimes. So he gets milk from your breast but it's topped up via a tube?

Are you expressing for him?

Sounds like a difficult situation but more likly to be him getting used to the tongue tie snip than you putting him off and also picking up on tenseness etc. Not your fault!

So ds1 is possessive of your breasts, normal and a tricky phase. I did s lot of tandem ffeeding and had to feed both together because of that issue.

Can you trigger let down before you latch him on?

Oh yes I forgot about those things
SNS I think they are called, not sure how to get hold of one I'll have a look, , thanks.

Yes I'm expressing in the day and now just feeding ds1 during the night to keep supply up and keep him happy. But means ds2 gets formula at night as I can't produce enough in the day for him.

Have tried tandem feeding at the same time but ds1 gets possesive of having both breasts and switches a lot between them and clambers all over me. He's very big and strong and I can't really protect ds2 if I have them at the same time. What did you do to help yours understand that there is more than one mouth to feed now and help them through the phase?

I find it very difficult to trigger a let down if I am even slightly stressed and just thinking about trying to feed ds2 means I won't get a let down so I think the SNS might be the way to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now