Shouldn't this of healed by now

(5 Posts)
Sweetasstevia Sun 03-Aug-14 21:40:48

In the last month or so of bf my toddler I developed a crack / raw patch of skin on my nipple which was sore but not too problematic - it seemed to heal up pretty well between feedings. However since weaning on 5th July -(so a month ago) the problem has got a lot worse - at first I thought I had milk leaking into my bra but after a few days realised it was actually yellowy pus (sorry gross!).

I've been putting antiseptic cream on but a month later the nipple is still bright red, weepy, itchy and slightly misshapen.
Part of the problem is that I'm constantly wearing sports bra's to counter the toddler's (admittedly lessening) requests to feed. We co-sleep and I really don't want him to help himself to a sneaky feed and get my milk supply going again ! (I'm still producing some milk unfortunately). I'm pondering whether I should go to the Doctors next week but don't want to waste their time should I just stuff my bra with cabbage or something?

I would go to the GP as it could need some other treatment e.g. anti-fungal if it is a thrush type thing or anti-bacterial stuff if it is a bacterial infection

PurplePidjin Sun 03-Aug-14 21:58:04

I'm not medical but it sounds infected and you'll need antibiotics for that. Is your immune system up to strength, can you boost it with echinacea and more fruit/veg in the meantime?

Is the fabric of the bra rough, maybe use a disposable breast pad in between and maybe some lansinoh to protect the skin as well

Sweetasstevia Mon 04-Aug-14 15:02:43

Thanks guys great advice smile

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 04-Aug-14 18:22:05

I had thrush when bf, which was similar to what you describe - and easily treated with cream from the dr. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now