how long after removing from steriliser does pump remain sterile?

(9 Posts)
Eyespy24 Sat 02-Aug-14 18:45:59

Please can anyone help with this?
Is it OK to sterilise in the evening, keep pump closed with cap & then express in the morning possibly 10 hours later.
Thanks.

Yes, both My pumps both said to just wash in warm soapy water and rinse with tap water and just to sterilise once a day.

CityDweller Sat 02-Aug-14 18:51:34

Yes. I too sterilised only once a day and I kept pump parts in fridge in between expressing.

SweepTheHalls Sat 02-Aug-14 19:03:58

According to the Oxford Milk Bank you dont need to ( wish I knew that when I was expressing! )

Thr relevant PDF is about half way down the page.

how to clean pump

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sat 02-Aug-14 19:07:05

It should be sterile for 24 hours but as others have said it's not necessary.

missbluebird Sat 02-Aug-14 19:13:07

My steriliser says 6 hours. Can't believe j've been wasting time sterilising repeatedly for the last 5 months...

SweepTheHalls Sat 02-Aug-14 19:18:35

The Oxford site is a great source of information!

Eyespy24 Sat 02-Aug-14 22:26:36

Thanks. Great that sterilising pump not necessary. So presumably no need to sterilise teats/bottles if only ever used with breast milk?

SweepTheHalls Sun 03-Aug-14 08:33:19

Hmmmm, no idea there. I have always wondered though why we do as the milk is in the bottle for such a short period of time if you make and feed the milk immediately. I can understand it if you are storing/freezing the milk and there would be time for the bacteria to grow in decent numbers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now