10 mo with tongue-thrust reflex/ weaning advice

(4 Posts)
tackytiger Sat 02-Aug-14 12:52:50

Hi all,
I am still breastfeeding my 10mo DD2. She has always been a boob monster, and completely refused all bottles/ dummies etc.

Started a gentle BLW technique at 6mo. Introduced finger foods as well as allowing her to suck puree off a spoon etc.
However, right from the start she refused food. Proper clamping lips shut, shaking head refusal.

I kept offering, and had her sit with us at every meal, and finally at 8mo she started eating solids. However, she will only eat spoonfed purees that are perfectly smooth. She will chew and suck fingerfood (she has about 12 teeth at various stages) but spits it out as soon as it goes past her lips. If by some miracle a crumb makes it past her tongue, she gags until she vomits to get it out.
She won't even eat Stage 2 pouches - it's the proper tiny baby stuff or nothing.

She is still breastfeeding once or twice a night as well as about four times a day. However, she would only breastfeed if I let her - she really doesn't seem that interested in solids.

She is a big (91st centile last time she was weighed), healthy, cheerful baby. She just doesn't want to eat.

As far as I can see, she still has the tongue thrust reflex quite strongly.

My approach is to not worry, and presume she'll get round to eating properly at some point. However, I saw a HV for an unrelated matter about three months ago, and she said I "missed the window' for weaning (despite me starting at 6mo as per NHS guidelines) and to just "make her push through it".

Anyone have any experience? Do I need to go to a GP or get this looked at, or will it pass? When should I worry?

Apologies for the essay, but I'd appreciate any advice!

hollie84 Sat 02-Aug-14 12:55:06

Does she have a tongue tie?

tackytiger Sat 02-Aug-14 13:10:31

I don't know, hollie. She feeds very efficiently and always has, though it did hurt like bejaysus at the start.
My older girl was exclusively ff though, so this breastfeeding lark is all new to me.

tackytiger Sun 03-Aug-14 17:22:51

Little bump in case anyone can help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now