Is this blog-post supportive of breastfeeding?

(14 Posts)
Grasshopper1 Sat 02-Aug-14 07:10:03

Hi MNers,
A friend of mine was talking about this blog-post earlier today. She felt it really missed it's intended mark of encouraging women to breastfeed.
What does the wise MN community think?
HERE

PterodactylTeaParty Sat 02-Aug-14 07:23:31

I think it's a bit odd the author tells breastfeeding mothers they should take themselves into special private rooms to feed when out if the house, and doing otherwise is indiscreet, a sign that you're more interested in making a social statement than in feeding the baby, and just like peeing in public - and then wonders why so many women feel uncomfortable bfing in public.

tiktok Sat 02-Aug-14 08:39:48

It's incoherent. The mother is confused and judgmental. Don't be fooled by the cosy, jokey, hey y'all tone of it!

Surfsup1 Sat 02-Aug-14 09:24:24

The public urination comparison seems rather at odds with an encouraging message!!

mignonette Sat 02-Aug-14 09:26:59

Gotta hide my breastfeeding womanliness in case it brings down society.

And if she is comparing BF with urination she clearly didn't pay a lot of attention on biology 101.

AskBasil Sat 02-Aug-14 09:27:45

No.

It's full of shit.

callamia Sat 02-Aug-14 18:39:30

It's awful and contradictory.
I don't feel 'supported', I feel hectored and confused.
Just feed your baby when and wherever you like 'y'all'

Fizzyplonk Sat 02-Aug-14 18:45:13

Started okay-breastfeeding does need to be learnt. For me this wasn't too hard akin to learning to use a tampon or put contact lenses in- takes a few days but then no big deal. Not everyone has issues but neither is it something you can do automatically.

After that it was nonsense.

callamia Sat 02-Aug-14 18:48:19

It's awful and contradictory.
I don't feel 'supported', I feel hectored and confused.
Just feed your baby when and wherever you like 'y'all'

She's writing shite. And I hate the pretend friendly tone while her (I imagine) cold, dead eyes are directing you towards a public toilet.

shinynewname Sun 03-Aug-14 07:07:07

"when the baby gives her thrush" charming.

Yeah it's confused and not well written.

Littlef00t Sun 03-Aug-14 10:43:00

I don't like the encouragement to use the extra special room just for me. What if I want a coffee and cake while I'm feeding? I don't want to have to seek out the private room even if there is one available. I don't think I'm making a feminist statement by choosing for bf not to dictate my day.

Littlef00t Sun 03-Aug-14 10:45:50

And and I feel she almost belittles the right to have a view about breastfeeding in public because it can be sooo hard. Well, for me it was painful for a while but not difficult, and we are allowed to worry about lesser issues even while more serious issues exist. That's why we have the phrase first world problems!

squizita Sun 03-Aug-14 21:20:02

It seemed very odd... you can't make wise decisions about medical things like mastitis etc' because your poor little brain is deciding whether to feed under a shawl or not? hmm Pretty sure we can decide/do both.
It's just really confused and odd. Like a tipsy rant.

It didn't seem coherent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now