Breastfeeding baby suddenly refusing boob

(4 Posts)
rmyerspharmacy Sat 19-Jul-14 08:03:51

Advice needed please.

All of a sudden my 8 and a half month old has started refusing to breastfeed.
She was fine yesterday morning and feeding as normal- then yesterday afternoon she just bit me everytime she was offered a boob, and this morning she will not even go near the boob, keeps pushing me away. Have had to get some expressed milk out of the freezer both yesterday afternoon/evening and this morning so I knw she's not off her food particularly- it's just she doesn't want to breastfeed.

Anyone else had this problem? Will she go back to normal in a few days or is this the end of breastfeeding sad
Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Rumandcokeplease Sat 19-Jul-14 08:10:26

Hi, my dd stopped at 8 months, fed ok one Saturday and then Sunday she flat out refused! I'd dropped one daytime feed to formula a week before, not sure if this made a difference, after 2 days of refusal I made the decision to stop breastfeeding (if breastfed my first until 14 months); I was initially gutted, i was very emotional for a few days but looking back it worked out well, at the end of the day I wasn't going to breastfeed her forever (!), it was jut a bit of a shock!
I have heard they have nursing strikes and you can keep offering but I struggled pumping and my boobs were huge and very painful! I went cold turkey and they took about 2 weeks to go back to normal.

Treaclepot Sat 19-Jul-14 08:11:42

My middle DC refused at about 9 months, later found out I had a cyst that was probably making the milk taste horrible. So have a feel.

JabberJabberJay Sat 19-Jul-14 08:14:28

Sounds like a Nursing Strike to me. Have a look on Kellymom. Lots of information on how to handle it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now