breast feeding

(7 Posts)
s4m4nth4 Sun 13-Jul-14 17:36:02

Hi. I'm 4 weeks away from my due date and I have a question about feeding. This is my second pregnancy and right from the start I've said i'm going to breast feed for the first few days to a week as I know the first few days milk gives a real boost to the baby. I only bottle fed with my first with cow & gate but I feel I'd like to try it for a few days this time. I don't want to only breast feed I only want to do it for a few days and I was wondering if anyone else had done this and what formula they used afterwards? I was thinking aptamil as I've heard its best for after breast feeding but I'm open to whichever

tiktok Sun 13-Jul-14 18:27:29

All infant formula is basically the same - it has to be, to comply with the law. Choose the brand you feel most comfortable with or which has the prettiest tin or is sold in your local shop smile

Aptamil's claim of being for babies after breastfeeding is pure marketing - there is no reason why this brand is better than others.

Hope things work out for you smile You might find you and your baby like bf better than you anticipate smile

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 13-Jul-14 18:37:09

I tasted a few, Aptamil tasted closest to me when I compared it with my milk. Dd1 was OK with it as is ds when I have given/gave them the odd bottle.

You might get into it once you start, I find it much less faff to whip out a boob in the middle of the night than running a steriliser, making up formula and cooling it ready for a feed. I can sleep and feed at the same time, always a bonus with 3 under 5 smile

Salmonspringroll Wed 16-Jul-14 22:42:24

I had this plan before I had my babygirl too, but you know what.... Bf is soooo much better! Easier, cheaper, more convienient and just seemed so natural to stick with it. So see how you feel, I would advise doing it for at least 2 weeks so you can make an informed decision and not confuse baby too much so soon!
Good luck! Xx

ColdCottage Wed 16-Jul-14 23:37:44

May I ask why you want to only do it for a few days? If it went well and your baby and you found it easy (I understand that lots of people don't) would you do it for longer?

Not a BF obsessive here or anything so please don't get annoyed with me I'm just genuinely interested.

To me not only is it good for the baby (and my waist line) but its FREE (I'm skint!) and doesn't require the extra cleaning (anything to keep the washing up down) and equipment (again cost for me) or the crying when you can't provide the food they want instantly (anyone would think we were waitresses!).

Please don't feel you need to answer I'm just interested. Everyone should do what is best for them and their baby and as long as baby is fed and happy that is all that matters.

TheFairiesAreBack Thu 17-Jul-14 13:19:59

All formula is the same. breast milk is the best thing for two years and beyond.

teegsishotok Thu 17-Jul-14 19:23:00

breast iz da best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now