How can I fix this? I don't want to give up....

(8 Posts)
ThatWayMadnessLies Sat 12-Jul-14 08:56:52

My ds is almost 10 wks old and ebf. He is fab but I am really struggling. We've had tt (sorted now), cracked nipples, thrush, mastitis and now I am being treated for abscesses in my right breast (posted about this elsewhere but not many responses - thankfully abscesses seem quite rare).

I am still able to feed and ds is latching well now but I am terrified of blocked ducts and mastitis. I have been offering both breasts at each feed (letting him finish on the first before offering the second) but not convinced that he is draining the breast effectively. Should I be just offering one breast per feed to encourage him to really drain it thoroughly? I'm afraid of milk stasis so probably offer the second breast when he's not really interested. I'm trying not to pump as I already have an abundant supply (maybe overabundant?) and I really don't want to encourage more milk production. Ds has also decided now is a good time to drop a night feed which should be cause for celebration but instead means I wake up in a panic with lumpy engorged breasts and way too much milk for him. My fear of mastitis means I'm afraid to leave the breast full and end up hand expressing so not sure how my body gets the message to make less?

Right now breastfeeding is stressful and I don't feel like we have it under control. I'm constantly waiting for the next catastrophe. I'm holding on to the hope that this might be the last big hurdle and we'll feed happily from here on out but part of me wants to let it go and move on. The surgeon says they'll support me either way but seemed to be giving me permission to stop.

Sorry for the long post. Please help me make sense of this - I want to be able to enjoy this time with my son.

Slacktacular Sat 12-Jul-14 09:09:07

Sorry I don't have any wisdom to share here, but just popping by to say a huge well done for getting this far despite all the heinous adversity. Massive respect! I hope someone more knowledgable than me comes by soon to help

McBaby Sat 12-Jul-14 10:06:43

I have similar issues with over supply check out the kellymom website for guidence on how to help. I would also find a lactation consultant to provide real life support and help.

I only ever feed from one side which helps to control my supply and I have block fed for a day here and there or reduce further. At nearly 13 weeks we have it pretty much under control ( except she has slept for 12 hours for pasta two nights and v engorged in the morning).

I had similar issues with dd1 and by 5 months had few issues. After recurrent mastitis and thrush .

ThatWayMadnessLies Sat 12-Jul-14 11:47:24

Thanks ladies.

McBaby I've looked at kellymom and will try just expressing a little off the side he's not feeding from to ease engorgement. It's just the fear of mastitis setting in and then another abscess that makes this difficult. I think lactation consultants are thin on the ground round here but will try to find one. I had hoped to go to a la leche league meeting on Friday but was having abscess drained at clinic then.... Next meeting isn't until mid August.

McBaby Sat 12-Jul-14 12:07:53

Have a look in lcgb.org for a lacation consultant.

I hope you get your supply under control. It's scary deliberately making your self sengorged but it really helps your supply come under control. If you do express a little off the other side just try and so a little less each day abs cut down v v slowly.

ClearlyMoo Sun 13-Jul-14 15:35:39

Hi! I don't want to give up either. I have a very similar tale to tell. I have PM'd you x

NAR4 Sun 13-Jul-14 16:10:09

Have a search on the internet for phone numbers of breastfeeding councillors. You can then chat to them over the phone without having to wait to see them or leave the house.

Sounds as if you have had a really difficult time of it, but obviously want to continue breastfeeding, to have got this far.

Changing feeding positions, to not pour down dcs throat can help when you have an abundance of milk. Don't know what positions you have tried. I found lying back on a comfy chair with baby lying upright on me helped.

ThatWayMadnessLies Sun 13-Jul-14 18:47:20

clearly will check messages and reply when I'm not on my phone and can type properly. Sorry you're going through this as well.

NAR4 I'll have a look. I try to alternate positions so use cross cradle, laid back nursing and the rugby hold. He seems to be coping well with the flow, it's just the quantity. Having one abscess was bad - having two has made me paranoid. I would like to continue but not if I spend all my time worrying about little lumps and bumps. I had hoped to make it to 6 months but if abscesses keep forming then I'm throwing in the towel. It can't be good for us to be on so many antibiotics and painkillers either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now