ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Is going to a breastfeeding group worth it?

(9 Posts)
elliejjtiny Wed 09-Jul-14 16:58:12

I'm breastfeeding DS5, aged 3 weeks. Breastfeeding is going ok but he only gained 1oz last week, 2 of my other children were failure to thrive (one had severe reflux and the other had low muscle tone), I've got PND and I'm paranoid that this baby is going to end up being failure to thrive too.

DH is off work this week so he looked after the other DC's while I went to BF group. It was nice to get some reassurance and meet some other mums of little babies. The group is for babies under 4 months only so I asked the HV running it if I would be able to bring 13 month old DS4 with me next time, explaining that due to his severe special needs he is less able than most of the other babies there so won't be walking around causing havoc like most toddlers. The HV said no, it wasn't allowed.

The BF supporters at the hospital told me there is another group in the next town that I can bring DS4 and DS5 to. But I'd have to get 2 buses to get there and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm wondering if it would be better to just go to a "normal" baby group in my local town and get breastfeeding advice when I need it at the baby weighing clinic.

KirstyM2014 Wed 09-Jul-14 17:03:59

Hi, I go to a bf group and if people have older children they bring them too so strange that older children are not allowed! Its defiantly worth it, they can help with all sorts of issues and it also gets you out of the house for a while each week

Bellossom Wed 09-Jul-14 17:06:59

I was going to say yes as I met some good friends there, but I didn't even go till my baby was 6/7 months, all are welcome to my local one seems a shame not yours. I personally had more problems after 4 months than before too

onestepbeyond Wed 09-Jul-14 17:14:40

It's odd you aren't allowed over 4 months - I'd only just started venturing out to groups by that age. All the peer supporters at ours bring their dc with them so we range from newborn to 4 years!
I enjoyed ours from a social view but found the leaders at other baby groups just as knowledgeable with regards to bf-ing.

Superworm Wed 09-Jul-14 23:40:38

Is there a Le Leche group near you? You can take any children to my local one and it has been a good place to make friends.

ovenbun Thu 10-Jul-14 06:35:01

There might be an nct coffee morning local to you. These often have the trained nct breastfeeding advisors present and although they cost would probably be much cheaper than two buses smile I enjoy our local group not sure if older siblings are welcome or not xxx

Writerwannabe83 Thu 10-Jul-14 08:51:00

You can only go up until 4 months? That sounds very unfair.

The rule in my BF group is as long as you're breast feeding then you're welcome.

There is even an 18 month old girl at out group because she's still having a few feeds a day.

I really hope you find somewhere suitable and local x

elliejjtiny Thu 10-Jul-14 18:50:31

Thanks everyone. There isn't a nct or la leche group near me. The HV said the 4 month rule was because they think the group is nicer when it's smaller. I didn't start going to groups with my eldest until he was 4 months either. I'm going to give the group 2 buses away a try.

bakingtins Fri 11-Jul-14 08:09:43

It doesn't sound very welcoming! Our local group welcomes BF babies/toddlers of any age and older siblings as long as they don't trample on the little ones.
I'd find another baby/toddler group for the social aspect. I do wonder what quality of BF advice you'll get from baby clinic, it seems to be variable (to put it politely) particularly if you are having issues currently with weight gain. How about contacting the national breastfeeding helpline and see if you can get in touch with an NCT/LLL counsellor to visit you at home to give advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now