Post-breastfeeding boobs question

(10 Posts)
AuntyDiluvian Wed 09-Jul-14 10:17:00

I stopped breastfeeding my 14--month-old last week and am totally fine with this though I thought I would feed for longer. I was just fed up of it; am pleased I could feed for so long; not feeling guilty about stopping; and the whole thing went very smoothly with little protest from the boy.
So, hooray!
I'd like to celebrate with a new bra which doesn't have clips and which offers me some actual support. How long should I wait for 'full deflation' before I invest? I was only feeding once a day for a while before stopping, but there's still a bit of milk there after having fed for a long time. At what point am I safe to buy a bra that should fit me for a while?
Thanks, wise boob experts.

naturalbaby Wed 09-Jul-14 10:22:02

I found it took a few months for the milk to stop and then they seem to have grown slightly!

AuntyDiluvian Wed 09-Jul-14 10:31:46

Wow. Thanks for the reply, that is a pretty long time! This is going to be one of those 'how long is a piece of string?' questions, isn't it?

naturalbaby Wed 09-Jul-14 12:26:55

It's been 2yrs now and I'm only just getting round to thinking about getting new ones!

HamAndPlaques Wed 09-Jul-14 12:34:43

I would get fitted now and buy one lovely bra in the sales, and be prepared to need re-fitting in the autumn.

minipie Wed 09-Jul-14 12:42:22

I stopped bfeeding DD in October last year at 12 months, and can still produce a few drops of milk if I squeeze! However my boobs have been a fairly constant size since a month or so after stopping (we were down to one feed a day too before I stopped). So I'd say give it a few more weeks and you should be fine to invest.

AuntyDiluvian Wed 09-Jul-14 14:19:37

Thanks people. I certainly won't rush out and buy anything too fancy then!

bouncinbean Wed 09-Jul-14 14:25:06

Mine gave gone back to pre pregnancy size when I dropped to 1 or 2 feeds per day. They don't feel full of milk like when the feeding was regular so I am not expecting much more change when the final feed drops.
I'd get a nice bra now - will give you a nice boost. I'd probably go nice high street though rather than mega bucks rigby and peller just in case there's another change though ;-)

PastaandCheese Fri 11-Jul-14 13:05:22

Hmmmm, I went back into wires at 6 months and expected to have to buy new when I finished feeding at a year but I have consistently been the same size since.

Am feeding a 4 month old now and got measured for a nice, supportive bra for a night out and came out at the same size again!

It would appear not everyone changes size when breastfeeding.

McBaby Fri 11-Jul-14 15:02:25

As bras are only supposed to be worn for six months as they lose there support and shape I wod but a nice one now and then go back in six months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now