Baby punching and kicking during feeds

(10 Posts)
Cariad007 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:50:35

Does anyone else's DC do this? 4 month old DS sometimes strains and wriggles during feeding while kicking and punching. I know he's only a baby but little fists on tender boobs can hurt a fair bit, as can kicks in the abdomen when I feed him lying down. No idea if this is normal or not and how to stop it.

cakebaby Tue 17-Jun-14 21:52:53

Hi, my ds did this around 4 months, it was quite draining and unpleasant for a while but it passed after a few weeks. Could you swaddle for feeds or hold his hand/give him something to ho!d? I found holding ds close & firm helped with the kicking.

Cariad007 Tue 17-Jun-14 22:08:02

Thanks. I try holding onto his feet but he's quite strong. He's been doing this for a while now so really hope it passes. He'll be feeding and then will suddenly reach up and whack me in the boob with a fist. I do usually stop and say NO firmly at that point but don't know if that works really.

cakebaby Wed 18-Jun-14 07:31:53

Yep ds punched me in the boob/face/neck too! It will pass, I think distraction is the best way forward. I think your ds is too young for no. Ds is now 10 months & is only beginning to register 'no' which I only use for imminent danger!

NorahBone Wed 18-Jun-14 08:04:53

I know it's not always possible, but have you tried feeding lying on the bed?

Cariad007 Wed 18-Jun-14 11:16:02

The kicking is worse when I'm lying down! And with the way he sometimes strains and struggles I wonder if he's getting enough milk or whether it's an effort to suck it out because there's not much there.

cakebaby Wed 18-Jun-14 13:16:07

I'm sure your supply is well established by now smile

Could be a growth spurt or developmental thing. It will pass though I think if you can just grit your teeth and get through this stage. My ds had an expert aim, booted me right in my cs scar many times!

Is it wind? Just recalled ds used to fidget when needing winding, which peaked around 4 months just another thing to keep him waking at night

Frusso Wed 18-Jun-14 13:21:53

My ds is a nightmare for this. I find he does it less if he's more upright when he feeds.
I do swap boobs if he's kicking alot.

ColdCottage Tue 24-Jun-14 21:25:12

I was just going to ask the same thing OP as 7 week old DS kicks me so hard in the tummy (mainly feed laying down due to bad back) and it really hurts, extra bad if I need a wee.
Winding or swapping breasts helps sometimes but not always and he hates being swaddled. Any ideas, do you think baby sleeping bag might work? Bit hot at the moment though.

ColdCottage Tue 24-Jun-14 23:33:53

Just found out (out of laziness) that if you put them on a cushion when laying on your side and feed from top/higher breast, their feed at least are away from your tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now