Baby rice in a bottle

(17 Posts)
Willabywallaby Mon 16-Jun-14 07:02:29

Please advise me why this is a big no no.

I know someone doing it and am worried.

TIA

MummyCoolski Mon 16-Jun-14 07:14:55

Because rice is less valuable nutritionally for a small baby. You are essentially replacing tailor-made food with empty carbs. The usual reason is to try to make the baby sleep through longer periods, which isn't necessarily a good thing for the baby if they aren't ready.

Baby rice is fine given as one of baby's first foods from a spoon, after about 6 months I think. Before that, they're really only set-up to digest milk.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 16-Jun-14 07:17:19

Think it's also a choking hazard of given in a bottle.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 16-Jun-14 07:17:32

*if

LIZS Mon 16-Jun-14 07:21:41

Main risks are choking as young babies do not yet have the same reflex to swallow lumps, may inhale it into the lungs and dehydration since they feel "full" but not from taking liquids. Processed foods may also contain higher levels of salt and sugar than a baby's body can handle.

Swoosg Mon 16-Jun-14 07:21:47

Choking hazard. And if the baby is less than 17 weeks, this could trigger allergy or digestive problems. Plus this will fill the baby without giving the nutrients needed for development.

Swoosg Mon 16-Jun-14 07:22:59

And also baby rice (all rice, actually) has traces of arsenic. So it's not recommended as a first weaning food.

ExBrightonBell Mon 16-Jun-14 09:42:27

The main hazard is the choking risk as others have said. Then there is the issue of filling the baby up with the relatively un-nutritious rice rather than proper formula. Thirdly, introducing any solids before 17 weeks (assuming this is a very young baby) risks a variety of health issues.
The arsenic risk is very very small so that is not, for me, the main issue.

tiktok Mon 16-Jun-14 10:58:42

Aaaargh! The arsenic myth! Please don't perpetuate it.....the levels of arsenic in baby rice are well below anything remotely risky. This myth scares mothers unnecesarily.

Baby rice is only one of many weaning foods, and there's nothing especially wonderful about it.

But it is not harmful.

It should never be given in a bottle though - dehydration, over-feeding, choking are the risks.

tiktok Mon 16-Jun-14 11:01:58
AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 16-Jun-14 13:36:25

Interesting blog Tiktok. Thank you for linking.

Chunderella Mon 16-Jun-14 13:36:30

Yes, the arsenic thing is total scaremongering shit. Unfortunately, it's been pushed by some people who ought to know better- Analytical Armadillo, for example- so people pick up on it. The problem isn't the baby rice itself. It's the way it's being fed to the baby and the fact that the babies in question tend to be too young for any solids at all.

Willabywallaby Mon 16-Jun-14 19:46:37

Thanks Tiktok, the baby is 5.5 months old.

I'm not sure if I'll even say anything, but needed to know why if I'm going to 'advise'.

LIZS Mon 16-Jun-14 20:01:58

I guess if they must wean it would at least be better off a spoon than in a bottle, offering a normal bottle first .

Chunderella Mon 16-Jun-14 20:10:40

Yeah, a bit of baby rice on a spoon at 5.5 months isn't going to be a problem at all.

scottishmummy Mon 16-Jun-14 20:28:51

No arsenic in baby rice.whatsoever.none.stop generating anxiety with lies and urban myth
Baby food production is mechanised,sanitised to an extremely high standard
If the parents are determined babyrice on spoon is how to serve,not in bottle

Willabywallaby Mon 16-Jun-14 21:46:41

That's what I thought, mine both had a small amount of baby rice, my concern was the fact they're putting it in the bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now