Sterilisers

(9 Posts)
alexandrapm Sun 15-Jun-14 16:48:34

Dear all,

I am 32 weeks pregnant with my first baby and in the process of buying all the feeding equipment. I have to buy the steriliser but first I would like to see what do you think and your personal experiences since I have read so many reviews that I am a little bit confused now.

So, according to your personal experiences what do you prefer: electric or microwave?

With regards to the electric I wonder maybe they are difficult to clean and I don't like the fact that apparently they have to be descale very often, also I have read in some reviews that some start to smell like plastic. So for those who like the electric ones, do you have a brand that you can recommend??

In relation with the microwave ones, I have also read very mixed reviews so for those who like them is there any brand that you could recommend?

Thank you very much for the help,

Alex

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 16:54:06

I had a Phillips Avent electric steam steriliser. Did two babies who were ff from 2 and 3 weeks to 12 months Never smelt like plastic, fits Avent bottles perfectly. I think I descaled it about 3 times ever. You can either use a little packet of descaler powder that comes with it (can buy more in Boots) or lemon juice. Dead easy. Just put the stuff it and run it.

Microwave steriliser ok too (had one at my mums), also Avent, but make sure it fits in your microwave.

tryingtocatchthewind Sun 15-Jun-14 16:57:33

I have a mum microwave steriliser which I loved and is dead easy to use. Careful though it's huge, I had to take it with us when microwave shopping.

You can also use it for cold water sterilising which I found useful when on holiday with it.

I didn't fancy an electric one sat on my work top all the time at least the microwave can hide in the microwave

Artandco Sun 15-Jun-14 17:00:16

Use Milton. All you need is a bowl from kitchen/ or pot/ container and add Milton tablet to water in it. Leave bottles in an hour

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 15-Jun-14 17:28:43

Milton is dead easy. The tablets sterilise in 15 minutes. You don't need to rinse bottles when you take them out, although you can in cool boiled water.

We have one which we took on holiday but we mainly used our Tommee Tippee microwave steriliser which once we got the hang of sterilising was easy.

Trooperslane Sun 15-Jun-14 17:30:15

I have a microwave steam one - dead easy.

would be in the hvs bad books since have stopped using it at 10 months

alexandrapm Tue 17-Jun-14 01:14:03

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. so many things to buy and so much information out there. So, I truly appreciate it. I think I am going to go for the microwave one because of the space. The lemon tip is great! thank you so much.

LightTripper Tue 17-Jun-14 07:35:13

I have a microwave one which a friend recommended and I like (though it only just fits so I agree, check sizes!). mine came in a pack with bottles (Dr Brown's) which was much cheaper than buying separately. it also fits my Phillips Avent manual pump in no problem.

mrsleomcgary Tue 17-Jun-14 18:04:47

Another vote for Milton here, much less faffing about I thougt and a bottle of Milton is about £2 and lasts for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now