Formula Feeding Questions - Help!

(5 Posts)
grove10 Sun 15-Jun-14 12:45:20

Hi

Using Cow and Gate First Infant Milk Formula for my newborn and have a few questions:

1) Is it right that when using either the powder milk or ready made formula's that once made up and warmed to room temp they have to be used within 2 hrs even completely untouched?

2) Also sometimes my baby just takes about 10ml and doesn't want any more for another 3hrs. Does bacteria form v quickly over the 2hr mark even when the cap of the bottle is left on? Or can it be put in fridge to prolong life once drunk from?

3) Finally if it's made up, untouched and left in the fridge can it be left longer in the fridge than 2hrs?

Sorry if these questions are v basic - am a real novice here!

Many thanks,

stargirl1701 Sun 15-Jun-14 12:49:08

1) yes.

2) yes, bacteria will form.

3) Not according to the current guidelines. But, we did. After DD had finished a bottle we made up the next one according to the guidelines, flash cooled it and stored it at the back of the fridge. There is increased risk if you choose this option.

ExBrightonBell Sun 15-Jun-14 14:57:43

I agree with the PP about (1) and (2).

Question 3, the World Health Organisation guidance is what the NHS advice is based on. Here is their full advice document.

This does state that you can, if you need to, make up bottles in advance as long as you flash cool and store in the fridge as quickly as possible. These bottles can be used for up to 24 hours. Obviously making it up fresh each time has the best chance of reducing any infection risk.

grove10 Sun 15-Jun-14 15:48:58

Many thanks for your responses so far.
Could I just ask though what is or how do you flash cool a bottle? Assuming this should take place straight after you've made the bottle with boiled water leaving it to cool after 30mins.

ExBrightonBell Sun 15-Jun-14 16:43:40

Flash cool just means as quickly as possible. E.g. Run it under cold water and plunge into a sink of ice water. Shake every now and again until cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now