breast abcess?

(7 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Thu 12-Jun-14 22:31:27

On antibiotics for mastitis. But 48 hours in and there is still a large, hard, tender lump under skin of left breast.

Could it be an abcess? Should I contact gp or wait until antibiotics have finished?

tiktok Fri 13-Jun-14 07:17:59

Give your doc a call. You need to be sure what to do before the weekend makes it harder to get prompt treatment if you need it.

Yes, it could be an abscess.

FrankelandFilly Fri 13-Jun-14 21:23:06

Definitely get it checked out, better to be safe than sorry and don't let your GP fob you off.

I had mastitis 7 weeks ago and had a persistent painful swelling in my breast. I saw 3 different GPs over the next few weeks about it and all of them said it was the mastitis and that it would go away with time. They were all wrong, I did have an abscess and it ruptured through the skin 3 weeks ago, thankfully while I was in the shower. I ended up in A&E and had to spend a night in hospital. I'm still under a breast consultant now and having to have my breast checked and drained of fluid every 2 weeks sad

buffythebarbieslayer Sat 14-Jun-14 11:26:07

GP has given me stronger antibiotics, to go back middle of next week and if not cleared then to the breast clinic.

I feel run down and trying to organise a birthday for my dd. Really worried it's an abcess as swelling will not go down.

Fingers crossed new antibiotics work

buffythebarbieslayer Sat 14-Jun-14 11:26:37

That's awful Frank sad

FrankelandFilly Sat 14-Jun-14 15:23:02

Gl

FrankelandFilly Sat 14-Jun-14 15:23:54

Glad they're taking it seriously.

I'm on the mend thanks, it's just a complete pain in the arse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now