One year old DS yanking my top down/up and grabbing my boobs...

(10 Posts)
ElleBellyBeeblebrox Thu 12-Jun-14 22:16:38

How do I handle this when I'm out and about? I don't have a problem feeding in public, just would rather he didn't do it as I leant over the trolley in tesco!

frames Thu 12-Jun-14 22:18:34

Bottle feed.

ElleBellyBeeblebrox Thu 12-Jun-14 22:23:17

Meh he has a bottle now and again, still had breast though a couple of times a day. Need to stop him thinking it's open access though.

KikiShack Thu 12-Jun-14 22:58:06

OP I think you deserve a better reply than frames has offered! So bumping in the hope someone with more expertise than me can help. Well done you on still bf your 1yo. I am currently feeding an 8mo and Ireally hope I get to where you are and still feel happy to bf. Ignore idiots people who tell you to move to bottles instead, I'm sure if that's what you wanted to do you'd have posted asking advice on that.

tiktok Thu 12-Jun-14 22:58:47

You can stop it the way you stop anything in a pre verbal one yr old. You say calmly 'no' and 'not now' or something and you distract him with something else. You need to be prepared with a drink or snack before you get into tesco. Usually this will work and if you remain consistent it is more likely to work.

Kerryp Thu 12-Jun-14 23:01:45

I don't know much about breastfeeding tbh, but wouldn't it be the same as you would tell a little one about anything. Maybe just saying "soon" or "no not yet" x

rosiedays Thu 12-Jun-14 23:21:05

Frames hmm

It's not really the weather for polo necks either smile

Tictok is right as usual, if they do something you don't like say 'no' firmly every time. Eventually they get the message. i'd also be tempted to wear something that doesn't allow easy access when out for a while, (not so easy in this heat i know but it must be soooo tempting for him if he's hot and thirsty and they are at eye level smile ) kellymom website has some great advice on nursing manners too.
I've taught dd (11 months) the makaton sign for milk which she will use sometimes now. (That or the really loud high pitched scream i didn't teach her! !!)

ElleBellyBeeblebrox Fri 13-Jun-14 07:10:07

Thankyou ladies. He is starting to understand no, it does make him stop whatever he's trying to climb or eat (for a couple of seconds anyway before carrying on!) He usually ends up munching banana most of the way round the shop so snacks is a good idea to distract him.

purplemurple1 Sun 15-Jun-14 07:16:14

frames I bottle feed and ds still grabs my top to try and get to my boobs. I think purely because he know they are there but hidden.

StormyBrid Sun 15-Jun-14 08:08:56

Not convinced bottle feeding would be the slightest help. My fifteen month old has been on the bottle since she was five days old. Still likes pulling my top down and checking my boobs are still there. I tend to reassure her they haven't fallen off, mention I don't really need them getting out in public, etc. Doubt she really understands, but if people overhear me breezily saying such things and chuckle to themselves, it makes me a bit less embarrassed at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now