Fed up and need advice!

(11 Posts)
kazza446 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:02:02

My lo is 5 month old, currently ebf. Have been trying for past month to introduce him to a bottlebut he's just not interested. Feeling fed up as I'm tied to him and can't leave him for longer than a few hours. I'm supposed to be out next month for a friends 40th but it looks like I'm going to have to let her down. I was also looking at returning to work next month but again will have to delay this.
Has anyone any tips on how to successfully introduce a bottle. I've tried both breast and formula in bottle.
Also, he won't take a dummy but will use me as a pacifier. It's become so bad he has actually caused a blister On my nipple. Does anyone have any advice on best way to treat it. Bf is so painful right now.
Thanks for any advice x

Annietheacrobat Fri 06-Jun-14 22:09:06

Playtex drop ins?

kazza446 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:12:53

Annie are they any good? I've been trying the tommee tippee bottles but was wondering whether or not to try the drop ins

Writerwannabe83 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:15:10

Have you thought about skipping the bottle stage and feeding him from a sippy/Doidy cup??

It seems like a lot of stress to try and get him to take a bottle when you'll soon be trying to wean him off it and onto beakers anyway smile

Annietheacrobat Fri 06-Jun-14 22:28:57

They worked for me. I tried them on the recommendation of a friend (who also had a bottle refuser). After refusing every other type of bottle (dr browns, mam, nuk, Tommee tippee) and sippy cup, my daughter downed 5oz the first time she tried the playtex system.

CheeseEMouse Fri 06-Jun-14 22:33:40

I have a bottle refuser. We started (slowly) with a doidy cup and a Tommy tippee free flow beaker at about that age which she now happily glugs milk from.

kazza446 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:37:11

Brilliant. Thanks for advice ladies. I've tried a sippy cup but he's refused that too. I guess I just need to persevere!

NormHonal Fri 06-Jun-14 22:41:14

FWIW, I went back to work when DC1, a bottle/dummy refuser, was 5.5mo.

DC1 began taking a bottle at around 8-9mo, the nursery were brilliant and persisted daily.

Until then, just took big bfeeds morning and night and yoghurt and other food (weaned from 6mo) in-between. Ate a lot of baby rice mixed with formula and purée.

Wasn't unhappy. Managed fine. cracked in the end

leedy Fri 06-Jun-14 22:51:05

Seconding/thirding the cup rec - DS2 rejected all bottles but got the hang of a Doidy cup straight away at about 4.5 months then moved on to the Nuk soft spout sippy cup (also seems popular with BF babies).

callamia Fri 06-Jun-14 22:59:48

Nuk soft-spout sippy cup here too. We started trying it about 4m, and now it's what he has milk from while I'm at work. He also uses the tommy tippee free flow for water. He still clearly saves up his main feeds for when I'm home, but at least he's not hungry all day.

Annietheacrobat Sun 08-Jun-14 09:46:11

Kazza have messaged you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now