Trapped wind, screaming, unable to feed. Any ideas to help?

(14 Posts)
LearningAsIGoMummy Fri 06-Jun-14 20:23:45

My DD is 14wks and breast fed. She had colic / wind until about 10wks, which we managed with infacol, gripe water, and vigorous winding, including my DH putting her in all sorts of bizarre positions to get the burps up (not that I'm knocking him, it worked, I was grateful).
She seemed clear of it for a few weeks, but it's now back worse than ever. She will scream when trying to feed, and as a result isn't feeding as much through the day - nearly 6hrs without a feed today, much crying, and no sleep during that time. She's gone from waking once at night, to x3, clearly due to hunger.
I'm using gripe water ++. Infacol never really did much for her, so I've not bothered retrying that.
It's definitely wind, as if we get a good burp, she stops crying and is able to feed.
Could my diet affect her in any way? I haven't changed what I eat, but wondered if I should avoid any particular foods.
She had her 2nd imm's at the beginning of this week. The wind returned before them, but she was actually better for a couple of days after the imms, I think due to having runny nappies, so any wind must have gone straight through her.
Sorry if TMI. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

HygieneFreak Fri 06-Jun-14 20:29:52

I ve been here

Its awful!!

When dd was 8 months old, thats when i saw a massive change.

The wind does dissolve in the tummy after several hours.

But by the time its dissolved, its time for another feed again!

Dd was formula fed, so i ve no idea if changing your diet will help.

I tried all sorts, even the expensive anti colic bottles.

Nothing really makes a difference, they just have to grow out of it.

spanky2 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:34:35

We would rub ds1 on the tummy. I am sorry we can't remember if it was clockwise or anti clockwise. Hell on earth is a screaming baby. You will get through it.

fledermaus Fri 06-Jun-14 20:37:16

Nothing you eat will make a difference.

Is her latch ok - is she swallowing air while feeding? Gulping, clicking?

Have you tried Dentinox? I have a friend who swears by their anti colic stuff. Tastes grim though, so you can put it in a bottle of milk if the baby won't take it neat.
Have a brew, it's so tough when they are in pain and you can't do much.

LearningAsIGoMummy Fri 06-Jun-14 20:43:50

Thanks for your prompt replies.
HygieneFreak - thanks for your encouragements and empathy, but 8months, aaaagh!
Spanky - baby massage is my next step I think, but someone told me I have to do it x3/day for 2 wks for it to be effective. That doesn't sound realistic if I'm honest. Did massage help your little one?
Flerdermaus - I'm told her latch is good, and she doesn't click. My milk does come quite fast, so she has to swallow quickly to avoid drowning I think.

flyawayblue Fri 06-Jun-14 20:49:51

Massage does help on the day, DH Googled when our daughter was really bad at a few weeks. Not this one http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html but similar and gave us something to do as felt so helpless.

Misty9 Sat 07-Jun-14 06:39:49

Sounds like possible fast letdown, like me. You can try taking her off when you letdown and catching the jet with a muslin before putting her back on. Check out Kellymom for other suggestions. Rubbing her belly in a clockwise motion can help, also we've been amazed at how much rubbing the back brings up wind as opposed to patting.

Hope it improves; babies in pain are so hard to watch sad

Chocotrekkie Sat 07-Jun-14 06:49:26

Massage helped mine - I got to the desperate stage where I would have tried anything as I am not a great believer in things like that.

I just did it when she was upset and it calmed her down.

cycling her legs worked best with her - lay her down on the sofa and sit and carefully take her ankles. then on one leg push it up to her tummy then extend out in a cicle motion like she was peddling a bike. Then the other leg.
Repeat and repeat.

<<probably a terrible description>>

The wind my tiny dd let out with this was incredible !!

mrsspagbol Sat 07-Jun-14 06:52:52

Have you tried Colief?

Bug2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 06:53:58

What has worked well in resolving trapped wind with both mine is sitting on the bed with my knees up and baby sitting against them facing me, so their bottom is on my tummy. Then move them down a little so their bottom is in a slight curve, ifyswim? Then wait a few mins and if wind is the problem you should soon hear results! Hth.

bumpiesonamission Sat 07-Jun-14 07:06:19

Have you tried holding lo in the 'tiger in a tree' hold? I can't link on my phone but it saved our lives and ears during colic time. also gripe water! xx

mrsmugoo Sat 07-Jun-14 07:32:07

My 12 week old suffers with wind (farts not burps though)

I use gripe water, tiger in the tree, tummy massage and leg bicycles - with the legs if you can actually press their knees up and do a gentle squeeze this really helps.

I wouldn't bother with any of the OTC colic remedies, none of them worked for us!

Writerwannabe83 Sat 07-Jun-14 08:17:07

Definitely recommend the cycling of the legs. I also push them up so they kind of compress the stomach and do this quite firmly. This motion kind of forces the wind out of the stomach, it's kind of like doing a lying down version of the Heimlich Manoeuvre grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now