Colic and water

(5 Posts)
Angelmummy1912 Fri 06-Jun-14 17:46:31

Is it ok to give my 5 week old boiled cooled water to help his colic? The health visitor said I could give him as much as he wanted as often as he wants it as it won't affect his feeding but will help the uncomfortable feeling in his belly but I've looked online and it suggests its not good to do this? Any advise!!

Writerwannabe83 Fri 06-Jun-14 17:52:28

She sounds like a great HV.... hmm

Is your son formula or breast fed?

Giving water will definitely affect his feeding as if his stomach is full of water then he won't want his milk on top.

It was my understanding that formula fed babies can only have an ounce of water a day and it must be given slowlyover the course of the day. I.e baby just has a few sips every now and then. This way it won't have an affect on their milk intake.

I may be wrong though??

ExBrightonBell Fri 06-Jun-14 18:05:11

Your HV is giving potentially dangerous advice. Fully breastfed babies don't need any water at all. Formula fed babies might need a small amount of water in extreme heat (not likely in a typical UK summer).

Giving as much water as he'll take could cause water intoxication which is really dangerous. Even if this isn't the case it will definitely replace milk feeds and possible cause him to miss out on nutrition.

Colic is defined as long periods of unexplained crying usually in the evening. It doesn't have to link to digestive upset.

To help with any wind/digestive issues have you tried cycling his legs and doing circular massaging?

Angelmummy1912 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:15:07

He's formula fed, she said if the water was cool it would relieve any tummy pain! I've let him have about an ounce in total do you think he will be alright? I won't give him any more!

ExBrightonBell Fri 06-Jun-14 19:15:25

Really odd advice from your HV.

I don't think an ounce would be a problem as long as you don't give him any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now