DS settled to sleep happily without his breastfeed last night.

(4 Posts)
cowbiscuits Fri 06-Jun-14 13:28:49

DS is 20 months old. We've been down to just 2 feeds, bedtime and first thing in the morning, since before christmas.

I've been kind of wanting to stop for a while, but the feeds are so much part of his routine. He's started having a bit of breastfeed, followed by a cup of milk because my supply is so scant nowadays. He says "milk all gone!"

Last night I decided to go for it. We had book and cuddles, then his cup of cows milk. He pulled at my top a bit and asked for "mummy milk" and I said "milk's all gone, finished, you're a big boy now, you can drink from the cup" etc.

Previously when I tried this line he's had a tantrum. Last night he was just okay about it. But he wanted lots and lots of cuddles and wanted to go to sleep cuddled on my lap. He kept looking at me and chatting, smiling and giving me kisses. Eventually he went to sleep in his cot with little fuss. My sweet boy. I had one of those moments I've only really experienced since becoming a mother, where your heart wants to burst with love and pride.

He had a breastfeed in the morning, that's the one I'm hanging onto for now because it lets me go back to sleep when he wakes at 5.40am.

It's very bittersweet. I'm sad about it, but at the same time I hope he manages it tonight.

Just wanted to share that. smile

goofygoober Fri 06-Jun-14 13:39:35

Bless him! It is hard when you're winding down with the BF, especially as it has become such a loving and cuddling part of bedtime. We gave up when DS3 was 2.5 and I was so worried about his reaction, but he was the same, simply accepted it and has his 'big boy' cup of milk. He still loves to rub his face on to my skin above my chest and cuddle me, but it was far easier than I thought it would be!

Misty9 Fri 06-Jun-14 13:39:39

Aww, sounds lovely smile i remember dropping the bedtime feed when ds was 15 months. It was the morning one he didn't want to let go, but my supply had dwindled so much by then that he'd get really frustrated at there not being enough.

20 months is amazing smile

ShineSmile Fri 06-Jun-14 13:43:24

Sounds so lovely smile

Now can't wait for my DD to be that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now