silly question about bottle feeding

(3 Posts)
Misty9 Fri 06-Jun-14 09:38:28

I've realised I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this! Baby is 7 weeks today and for the last week we have tried giving her a bottle and couple of times (dh has) as she's breastfed otherwise.

How do I know if she's bottle refusing? She holds the teat in her mouth but mostly pushes it out with her tongue and doesn't seem to suck on it. I think she had a tiny bit of expressed milk, but more because it was in her mouth and she swallowed, rather than actually feeding.

I've got other bottles to try, but does this sound like bottle refusal?

cowbiscuits Fri 06-Jun-14 13:14:02

It's slightly different thing they have to do than breastfeeding, I think it's quite hard for them, my DS hated it. You'll know if she's taking the bottle and sucking properly, you can see and hear it. She's prehaps getting used to the feel of it.

Have you tried when she is really hungry?

I don't have any advice on how to get her to take the bottle, my ds wouldn't but you could try other teats, and maybe make sure you are not in the room when dp feeds her.

She perhaps just needs to get used to it.

Misty9 Fri 06-Jun-14 13:36:17

Thanks cow smile
I've bought a doctor brown bottle and Medela one but don't want to open unless necessary as they're so expensive! Hmm, sounds like we just need to persevere and see if she'll actually suckle on a bottle. She's currently asleep on the boob so I can't see her being keen with a bottle anytime soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now