Blocked duct? Something else?

(13 Posts)
quietbatperson Thu 05-Jun-14 17:27:56

Since yesterday I have been having shooting pains from deep within one of my breasts, and it is painful to touch. There is no reddening, heat or hardness in the area, and the nipple is normal, it just hurts. Looking on kellymom this doesn't seem to be typical of a blocked duct, but I feel it is the most logical thing.

I tried dangle feeding in bed last night, and have tried feeding in the rugby hold to provide a different position to empty the breast, but it isn't improving.

Any suggestions? I don't feel unwell other than a viral cough that has been going round and I've not been able to shift.

Misty9 Thu 05-Jun-14 17:34:16

Could be early signs of mastitis? How do you feel in yourself?

quietbatperson Thu 05-Jun-14 17:39:00

I feel OK. Tired, but not unwell.

Misty9 Thu 05-Jun-14 18:57:38

If there's no red lump I'd say it's unlikely to be a blocked duct. My left breast is painful to touch and I feel achy and a bit spaced. Here we go again sad

Most things seem to be resolved by feeding from the affected breast so maybe just feed feed feed for now and see how things go? Sorry, I'm probably not making much sense!

quietbatperson Thu 05-Jun-14 19:11:42

I know what you mean smile I have taken my temperature and it's fine. I will take it again if I feel rubbish though.

I have had a blenched nipple/vasospasms before due to poor latching from a slight tongue tie. The pain I am feeling feels like those shooting pains. I agree with feed feed feed though - as long as the latch is good it is often the best thing to do.

Misty9 Fri 06-Jun-14 12:52:15

How are you feeling today? My boobs are still pretty tender to touch and weirdly I have a sore armpit on one side! The spaced feeling has gone though. Who knows!

Hope you're feeling better smile

quietbatperson Fri 06-Jun-14 13:44:20

I fed on that breast a lot last night and the shooting pains have gone! A bit baffling but at least its better.

Your sore armpit sounds a bit concerning - is it a lymph gland? That could be a sign of infection.

Misty9 Fri 06-Jun-14 16:21:37

Yey! That's great news smile
Hmm, really about the armpit? My temp is normal though that boob has felt hard and lumpy today... It's such a minefield this bf lark isn't it?!

quietbatperson Fri 06-Jun-14 20:22:22

Keep an eye on it though, if you get any lines tracking away from a lump see a GP straight away. The sore armpit may just be because there is breast tissue under there that needs some tlc rather than it being a lymph gland.

Misty9 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:57:14

Thank you. I've had mastitis in that boob recently so I've been massaging pummelling that side while feeding today. my husband reckons the armpit thing is a build up of toxins as I don't drink enough, his answer to bloody everything

quietbatperson Sun 08-Jun-14 11:41:22

How are you feeling today Misty?

Misty9 Sun 08-Jun-14 14:07:12

Bless you for asking, things seem less tender thank you. Bloody sick of breastfeeding but that's another thread! How are you?

quietbatperson Sun 08-Jun-14 15:06:55

Knackered, but that's another thread too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now