Breastfeeding and amalgam filling removal - freaking out!

(3 Posts)
FredFlintstonesSister Wed 04-Jun-14 10:05:34

I went to the dentist yesterday as an old filling had cracked and I kept cutting my tongue on it. He told me it had to come out and replaced it with a white filling. He knew I was still breastfeeding as he made a point of telling me the anaesthetic would not affect my milk. I am now panicking because I am feeling really dizzy and lightheaded this morning. DD also slept through the night for the first time last night and has since fallen asleep under her baby gym! I'm worried I have exposed us both to mercury from the amalgam filling removal - I rather predictably googled and found all sorts of horror stories! The dentist didn't seem to take any particular precautions when removing the filling. Any advice?

Alixion Wed 04-Jun-14 20:24:17

I don't know too much about the mercury but I also had a massive filling put in when bf DS was 8ish weeks. The effect of the anaesthetic was unlike anything I have experienced before! It took over 6 hours to wear off and I had a headache for days afterwards, I had odd pale patches on my cheeks and was flushed until the next day. I've had quite a bit of dental work done and this was very unusual for me.

I put it down to my body still recovering from birth and unable to handle any more trauma!! I mentioned it to dentist when I had my follow up appt and she wasn't concerned.

I have put any other dental work plans on hold though for next few months!

I hope you feel better soon - could you phone your dentist and double check?

FredFlintstonesSister Wed 04-Jun-14 20:30:58

I think you're right - I actually found the experience really stressful because I had left the baby with my mum and I've never done that before. I think it may have been too much adrenalin combined with lack of sleep. My husband is a scientist and has just come home and informed me that mercury poisoning wouldn't cause dizziness anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now