Does anyone else get an overwhelming sad feeling when feeding?

(27 Posts)
blueseashore Tue 03-Jun-14 21:52:39

I have noticed that soon after my DS latches on, and just before my let down starts, I get this really odd feeling flood through me - it's sort of like being overwhelmingly homesick. It passes almost as quickly as it comes on, but its horrible. I had it too when feeding DD but to a lesser extent. Anyone else experienced this?!

Yep, I've had it. To do with the hormone involved in letdown I think, but always used to take me by surprise.

WaxyDaisy Tue 03-Jun-14 21:54:43

Have you looked up DMER? I can't remember what it stands for.

greedygal Tue 03-Jun-14 21:56:47

Yes and I understand you. It was like a huge black cloud hanging over me as soon as my 2nd Dc latched on to me. It lasted for about 1 minute but that was the most hideous minute of my life.

I don't have any solutions but thought I would send you hugs as I relate to you.

It is horrible for both my DD and DS. I followed it through but hated the feeling everytime I fed them X

I get this on general (remembrr getting it as a child) and got it more when feeding. Sort of overwhelming sadness/homesickness/down and as Im "coming out" of it I crave a drink so ive always assumed its dehydration related. Also wondered if it was some sort of mild anxiety attack.

So weird - I was aboit to start a thread about this feeling (not specifically about feeding) after reading the social one!

SandorClegane Tue 03-Jun-14 22:01:27

How weird! I wonder why I get it at other times. It's just like a wave of despair that passes so quickly.

Yep I used to get this too. A real wave of sadness that would pass.

It lessened as they got older and the letdown less forceful.

GinnelsandWhippets Tue 03-Jun-14 22:07:26

Yes, with DS2 i felt this. It was so strange as with DS1 i found feding physically more difficult (pain etc) but emotionally it was really fulfilling. With DS2 it was the opposite. I fed him till 6 months but it was a struggle. Sympathies OP. But in the bigger picture, it will pass.

blueseashore Tue 03-Jun-14 22:11:32

Thanks for your replies - strangely comforting to know its not just me! Oddly I get the weird thirst after as well, Stealth. Pesky hormones have a lot to answer for...

imip Tue 03-Jun-14 22:11:56

Amazing, I've spent almost 6 years of my life breastfeeding and I let down I feel very nauseous. How amazing to finally have an answer! I guess this is what I've had. I've had it for all 4 dcs, currently bf dc4 at almost 2.5 yo and I still get it. Not all the time, just sometimes.... Wow, a real mystery for me solved.

I've told many a dr, bf counsellor and midwife who have always just looked at me like I am a loon!

williwonti Tue 03-Jun-14 23:02:25

I think i get this!!! I consider myself well read but never heard of this. I'm really quite shocked that it is real. It feels great to see it explained.

NorahBone Wed 04-Jun-14 09:44:27

Me too! I noticed it when I was really overdue and trying to boob massage my way into labour (didn't work). I like the way pp have described it - I get a kind of melancholy and, like polarbear I remember it from childhood. It's closely followed by a craving for tea.

LittleLight82 Wed 04-Jun-14 14:20:13

This is so odd- I don't get this while BFing but I got occasional waves of that homesick feeling in the third trimester coupled with a strong urge to drink lots of water afterwards. Bizarre!

Choppa Wed 04-Jun-14 15:02:20

This is me!! Homesickness...very odd but now I know it's not just me I feel loads better!!

mumofthreeboysS Thu 05-Jun-14 19:22:45

I get the nausea! I googled it a while back as I was so intrigued by it.

mumofthreeboysS Thu 05-Jun-14 19:25:01

Ginnelsandwhippets so how did you feel with ds2? I have started feeling more and more that I don't want to bf (ds is 5 months) it's all I think about when he's feeding but I'm worried I'll regret it if I stop. Maybe it's the hormones??

Toothytwo Thu 05-Jun-14 19:26:36

I get this when I start exercising, hard to explain. Like a wave of hopelessness.

mumofthreeboysS Thu 05-Jun-14 20:18:53

Ginnelsandwhippets so how did you feel with ds2? I have started feeling more and more that I don't want to bf (ds is 5 months) it's all I think about when he's feeding but I'm worried I'll regret it if I stop. Maybe it's the hormones??

mumofthreeboysS Thu 05-Jun-14 20:19:24

Oops sorry thought it hadn't posted

ilovetosleep Thu 05-Jun-14 22:41:30

Wow, I can't believe this feeling has been put into words as I always struggled to make sense of it. It is all of these thing, homesickness, melancholy, sadness, despair. I can't believe it is an actual 'thing' I thought I was being hypersensitive as I suffer from anxiety.

I also get an immense thirst immediately after and the sensation is fleeting. I also get it when starting exercise and also bizarrely after the first sip of a glass of wine, if I am tired. Mainly physically tired I think.

And I do remember it from childhood although I am not sure if I just associate it with childhood as it is a moment that feels almost nostalgic if that makes sense. It makes me sad to think that I might have felt like that in childhood.

I do feel this same overwhelming sadness/homesickness when I think about how much I love my DSs, but only recently since bfing ds2.

Yup, it's a real thing! I had D-MER, took me ages to find out what it was.

Primrose123 Fri 06-Jun-14 00:52:44

I've felt this too, and also while not feeding. It doesn't happen very often, but I get the feeling of desperately needing my mum (as a small child would). It only lasts a split second, and I have a craving for diet coke straight after. Weird.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 06-Jun-14 00:57:01

Mine wasn't overwhelming, but the feeling of sadness was definitely there. It was one of a myriad of feelings. Pregnancy, childbirth and breast feeding is totally natural and more than a bit weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now