help! hours old baby sicking up clear liquid

(7 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Mon 02-Jun-14 01:33:44

literally just home with 6hr old baby who has suckled loads since birth but who is now spitting up clear fluid. is this normal?

sorry didn't know where else to post!

eggybrokenoff Mon 02-Jun-14 01:34:20

he doesn't really seem bothered btw and it is tiny amounts

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 02-Jun-14 01:45:46

OH! Exactly this happened to us. We were still in hospital and I called the midwives in a panic. They were lovely and told me it was totally normal and that DS was just clearing out fluid he had taken in during birth. It happened all of the first night and then seem solved. His sheet got soaking (incidentally, the midwives told us to wrap a muslin cloth around the mattress where his head was and then we only need to change that every couple of hours and not the whole sheet).

Nothing to worry about and congratulations!

tiktok Mon 02-Jun-14 15:04:54

eggt - call your midwife! Not that this sounds urgent, but for a 6 hr old baby you need to be asking the midwife, not a talkboard smile

MangoBiscuit Mon 02-Jun-14 15:10:37

Congratulations!

Sounds like it's just amniotic fluid. DD2 did this a fair bit for the first day.

lemonfolly Mon 02-Jun-14 15:16:16

Congratulations!

Sounds like mucus, did you have a quick labour? Usually you have a very mucusy baby that omits clear liquid for a day or two if your pushing phase was quick. Usually is squeezed out in the pushing!!

Both my babies did this, once they've cleared it they'll be very hungry, ring the midwives if you aren't sure though.

CbeebiesIsAboutToPop Mon 02-Jun-14 15:35:15

Congratulations, all 3 of my babies did something that sounds very similar, it's just mucus that's they've taken in during birth and harmless.

However, I think you need to ring the midwives just to check as, as much as we say 'it's harmless' we can't see baby and 6 hours is very very little and things change very quickly. Speak to the midwife and let them put your mind at ease smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now