anyone breastfed a toddler during hospital stay?

(8 Posts)
beenbean Sat 31-May-14 15:11:05

Hello DS is 18months and is due to have surgery in a couple of months (no actual date yet).
We will have at least one night stay in hospital. Am bit apprehensive about attitudes towards breastfeeding a one year old from staff at the hospital. Just very unsure about how it will be accepted.
anybody have any positive experiences re breastfeeding toddlers having hospital treatment?
Thanks in advance

I think it would be a good idea to try to get in touch with the breastfeeding coordinator for your hospital, assuming they have one? They may be able to fill you in on the hospital's official (e.g. best) policy on this matter.

I've brought in a 14-month-old to have a wound glued up, and they were happy for me to breastfeed while they did the gluing, as it kept him happy and still. I may have been lucky to have pro-bf staff.

Parentingfailure Sat 31-May-14 20:01:46

Yes but under the covers or in the bathroom. Shouldn't have to be like that but I found some very judgey attitudes towards various things including this. They were horrified that we co slept.

DefiniteMaybe Sat 31-May-14 20:04:24

I've got no experience of this but I wouldn't make an issue of it. Just feed when your ds wants to. Don't be apologetic or feel uncomfortable. It's nobody else's business, and will definitely be the best thing to help your ds recover.

gingerbubs Sat 31-May-14 20:05:40

My dd was in hospital with vital wheeze for a couple of days at 17 months old and I was still BF once or twice a day. I found all the staff really supportive and they were very keen to tell me that as I was breast feeding it meant I got fed too - wouldn't have otherwise. Not that the food was great, but still...

gingerbubs Sat 31-May-14 20:05:58

*viral wheeze!

fridayfreedom Sat 31-May-14 20:13:24

My DS had severe croup aged 18mths and was in hospital overnight. He wouldn't eat anything there so staff were very supportive of me breastfeeding him.
I'm sure staff will be supportive and it will be very comforting to him after surgery .
It should aid his recovery too so stuff what anyone else thinks.

gruber Mon 02-Jun-14 20:05:32

Watching for experiences. Was faced with a moment last week where was looking likely I'd be admitted as emergency- thankfully not. Still bf my 18 mo & co sleeping, plus feeding to sleep! My whole reasoning for not being admitted was based on need to feed/sleep with my lo. Don't know what my hospital's policy is...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now