When did you express?

(23 Posts)
Somersetlady Mon 26-May-14 06:47:00

I am just curious as to when you expressed and if you had any problem with newborn taking milk from a bottle.

I have a very hungry 9 day old and like many extremely sore nipples! Is it too sooon to express just one feed a day to give my poor hardworking nipples a break?

I tried nipple shields but he wouldn't even put them in his mouth - hoping to have better luck with a bottle when expressing!

p.s my latch is fine and i am using lanisoh cream

Many thanks in advance

Jenijena Mon 26-May-14 07:29:25

Those In The Know generally say to wait a bit longer, but I was expressing and giving bottles (and breast feeding) from about day 4 (for the same reason) and if worked out ok. I think it's very individual for all mums & babies.

beatingwings Mon 26-May-14 07:46:21

I have breastfed for a total of 7 years and I have never expressed.
Giving an artificial teat so soon can cause nipple confusion and make your nipples even sorer. Get some help from your HV or breastfeeding counsellor to resolve your problem.

Fasterkillpussycat Mon 26-May-14 08:50:13

I first expressed and gave a bottle at 2 weeks. We have not had any problems with nipple confusion.

Somersetlady Mon 26-May-14 09:01:46

Thank you all.

Ive read about nipple confusion but have yet to meet anyone who has experienced it so thanks for your advice beatingwings but your nipples and resolve ar e obviously made of sterner stuff than mine!

Alixion Mon 26-May-14 09:18:49

I successfully expressed once a day at the 10pm-ish feed while my DH gave the expressed milk from the day before.
In my case it didn't really give my nipples a break as expressing is a different kind of uncomfortable! While DH was feeding, I expressed in the same room and within a week I was able to express around 80ml from each breast with a super hospital grade pump.
I really liked sitting back for that one feed a day and it helped me take a break from the responsibility - I had a few bonding issues and something about watching my DH feed DS helped with the perspective - hope that makes sense!
It was a relief to know that DS was getting a good feed in - even now 13wo, I sometimes worry if he is getting enough milk in.
He took the bottle fine (very early days Dr Brown bottles helped, TT didn't work, then moved onto Avent at 1mo) think it helped that DH gave it, I have given him a bottle a couple of times but he did seem a bit unhappy about it, this is when it really dawned on me that feeding (bf or bottle) in the early days hits two baby needs in one go - feeding and comfort. I was doing it but didn't understand or 'feel' it until that point. When he had a bottle he was getting comfort from DH and I think it helped their bond too.

We didn't have nipple confusion but I did notice a difference in his latch - he tended to have a smaller mouth which I presume is more bottle-shaped! I had to be and still have to be extra careful that his mouth is opening wide enough to have a good latch. But once I'd sussed this, the flexibility it gave us was great. I was able to do a couple of KIT mornings at 5 weeks which massively helped with my sanity and a much needed break from the baby bubble.
I also tried nipple shields - DS blank refused and looked up at me like WTF??!
Go for it!!

Madrigals Mon 26-May-14 09:30:24

Getting the latch right will be the best way to resolve the pain and expressing won't help much as the pain will still be there if the latch is wrong. I found once latch was sorted it really wasn't painful at all - was a great relief!!

I actually do know two people who believe they have experienced nipple confusion and one who thinks that it caused her dc to actually end up refusing to breast feed altogether sad which is why I think they advise waiting until 6 weeks.

Madrigals Mon 26-May-14 09:31:58

Alixion makes a good point about relative comfort levels as well - I would agree bf was definitely less uncomfy than expressing IME.

BertieBotts Mon 26-May-14 09:36:31

One bottle probably won't hurt but expressing might be painful if your nipples are sore. I certainly found the pump less forgiving than a baby.

If it's hurting for more than 10 seconds or so initially then you do have a problem with latch. Not all HCPs can spot a problematic latch so you may have been told it was fine. Can you describe what he's like when feeding, does he have his mouth nice and wide open taking in a lot of areola as well as nipple, can you feel the nipple at all when it's in his mouth? (You shouldn't be able to feel it, maybe a drawing sensation as the milk comes through), is there any clicking or dribbling and is he taking nice big gulps or more fluttery sucking? Do you have any bleeding or blisters, etc.

beatingwings Mon 26-May-14 09:55:10

"Ive read about nipple confusion but have yet to meet anyone who has experienced it "

Nipple confusion does exist. I have met many women who have encountered it.

One bottle of formula is something that many breastfeeding women do try to avoid. It can disrupt gut flora for months and one feed is enough to trigger the immune responses associated with formula.

Somersetlady Mon 26-May-14 11:01:19

Alixion - same thing with the nipple shields DS just looks up " are you fecking kidding me mummy???"

Somersetlady Mon 26-May-14 11:05:38

Betingwings ive never mentioned formula just expressing..

My boobs are getting better. We did have issues at first with bleeding and blisters but are far more comfortable now. It's just he feeds so much. And yes it's feeding his suckling comfort suck feels totally different to his I'm hungry or thirsty suck.

Haahoooo Mon 26-May-14 14:39:09

With DD I waited the recommended 6 weeks with expressing but then had trouble getting her to take a bottle. With DS I started expressing at 4 weeks and he loves his evening bottle. I find it especially helpful as my supply seems lower in the evening, so I often use the bottle of expressed milk on top of bf to make sure he's full and settles well at bedtime. Good luck!

weebairn Mon 26-May-14 17:17:57

4 weeks. No problems with supply or nipple confusion. I did it for a few weeks in the hope of getting that mythical break but it didn't really help (boobs were far too engorged if I went any time without feeding).

So in reality it turned out to be more hassle than help so with baby no 2 I am not going to bother unless I have to! I found someone taking the baby overnight and bringing them to me for feeds (and removing them immediately afterwards to wind, change, cuddle and settle) much much more helpful.

But I did have especially sore nipples - so massive sympathies!! These early days are tough and you sound like you're doing very well. If you need a bit of a break and you think it will help - go for it. The risk of causing problems with bf is there, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

beatingwings Mon 26-May-14 17:20:01

weebairn- but your baby may well have had nipple confusion- that could account for your sore nipples.

weebairn Mon 26-May-14 17:21:13

Sorry - I meant to say I did NOT have especially sore nipples. Which made it easier for me than the OP. I just expressed cause I wanted some time to sleep! But it didn't really work out.

springbabydays Mon 26-May-14 23:10:57

Please get some lansinoh nipple cream OP, if you haven't already. It will make you so much more comfortable.

whereisshe Tue 27-May-14 07:43:33

Do they hurt all the time or only when he's latching on? To start with mine felt like they were on fire when DD latched, but then once she was on it was ok. And my nipples toughened up after a few weeks - lansinoh was a godsend during that period though!

whereisshe Tue 27-May-14 07:45:28

Oh, meant to say - you may not find expressing to be easier on your nipples than baby. I find it harder not easier than breastfeeding.

leedy Tue 27-May-14 09:29:50

For really sore nipples I also recommend Multimam compresses, they're incredibly soothing and help everything heal. Put them in my hospital bag second time round, they were a godsend.

Also it's perfectly safe to take ibuprofen before a feed if things are really ouchy.

mrsmugoo Tue 27-May-14 20:38:29

I waited to iron out all my BF issues and so by 8 weeks DS point blank refused to take a bottle.
Now at 11 weeks I have the added issue of not being able to express a drop - my supply has regulated and nothing comes out!

Somersetlady Wed 28-May-14 08:11:40

Thank you all am fully stocked on multimam compresses (excellent if anyone is planning on having more dc and hasnt tried them) and lanisoh.

It's getting so much better day by day we have reached day 12 now but i still intend to try expressing. Ive a flling thats gone so have to go to the dentist tomorrow so want to try it today so can have the anesthetic if need it!

CheshireSplat Wed 28-May-14 12:18:27

Slightly different as I expressed for first 3 weeks of DD's life as she wouldn't latch on. She did eventually (using nipple shields). The lactation consultant I saw said (when I explained I was concerned about giving her a bottle) said that a bottle wouldn't prevent 50% of babies in that situation from latching on. But that was pretty extreme - only bottle feeding then trying to latch.

I second lanisoh. Absolutely amazing stuff. Worth the investment.

Also a cabbage leaf in the fridge then on your boob was good.

Shame about the nipple shields, although i used them as a latching did, they did help stop mine getting sore.

Personally I didn't find expressing that painful so go for it!

I know a few people have spoken about nipple confusion but if your baby seems to struggle to latch after a bottle you could always cut out the bottle again. Of course, the bottle might be met with the same disapproval as the shield!!!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now