TT perfect prep, do you think it's safe?

(19 Posts)
HeavenK76 Sun 25-May-14 19:58:48

hi
due in 2 months and bought the perfect prep on sale.
but I'm wondering do you think it's safe because it uses only filtered water for the cold shot, so the powder gets sterile because of the hotshot but then it adds the cool filtered water which is not boiled and cooled.
What's your opinion on this?

IfIspellItWrongIsThatOk Sun 25-May-14 20:01:35

My opinion is yes it's safe and this will be your first baby.

beccajoh Sun 25-May-14 20:08:17

I fill it with cooled boiled water sometimes, but mostly not. Water in this country, generally speaking, is safe. The hot shot is enough to turn the powder into a slightly watery sludge so it's getting plenty of contact with the hot water (and it is hot - it'd give you a nasty scald if you put your hand under it). Wash and sterilise your bottles properly, and follow the instructions about how long to keep made-up bottles and you should be fine. Formula milk is pretty safe. There isn't a huge public health issue surrounding formula feeding (most babies in this country are FF after all and we don't have hospitals full of sick babies!) Babies do get sick, but I imagine it's mostly because carers aren't as careful as they should be about hygiene and following instructions.

beccajoh Sun 25-May-14 20:11:36

If you're very worried about safety the only other option is to make every bottle from scratch, which isn't so bad during the day but not great at night. It can take 10-15 mins to get a bottle made and cooled. That's a long time with a screaming hungry baby.

Otherwise you make all your bottles in advance and I think that's less safe, although was the standard advice until fairly recently.

StillaChocoholic Sun 25-May-14 20:14:36

Yeah I think it's safe. I also think it's a bloody brilliant machine. Loved my prep machine, it was just so easy to use and saved a lot of stress.

Passmethecrisps Sun 25-May-14 20:14:51

What are your concerns about it's safeness?

Making bottles up for scratch can also be done with a shot of boiling followed by topped up cold from the fridge but this takes planning and measuring to make sure the amounts see the same.

If I had my time again I would definitely buy one. I found the pressure of making a bottle fresh with a screaming baby much more likely to make me either spill some or not let it cool enough - especially when very tired.

Passmethecrisps Sun 25-May-14 20:24:12

Or you buy liquid formula which is without a doubt the safest way of doing it but very expensive

Rachie1986 Sun 25-May-14 20:24:27

I think if there was a real risk of babies getting ill tommee tippee would have been hauled over the coals for it and the instructions would tell you to use cooled boiled water.

We've got one and having tried to cool a bottle under the tap it takes a huge time when baby is screaming! No issues with prep machine yet!

Jellybellymummyofsix Sun 25-May-14 20:28:50

Link anyone? Can't imagine what this machine is... I'm on dc6!

Passmethecrisps Sun 25-May-14 20:30:41

the issue is with the powder not the water so the hot shot kills bacteria in the powder and then the cool water cools the formula down to a drinking temperature.

Jellybellymummyofsix Sun 25-May-14 20:36:11

Thankyou.

wow! I'm ebf this baby but i ff 5 dc. I've never used ready made formula either.

I always made the bottles up in one go, but it was a few years ago!

Passmethecrisps Sun 25-May-14 21:53:36

I did and my dd is 18 months old now. I cried a lot over failure to bf and then cried more about not being able to make up formula 'properly'.

I might be a sucker for a product but this machine seems amazing for when babies are wee.

mangofizz Mon 26-May-14 07:05:20

Where did you buy it on sale? I've been looking at one for when I do my formula top ups but they are a bit too expensive to justify one!

Rachie1986 Mon 26-May-14 07:38:35

It was £65 at John Lewis a couple of weeks back xx

beccajoh Wed 28-May-14 21:39:33

If you pay over £75 for it you've been had! Shouldn't need to pay full price if you keep an eye out for it in the baby events. One of the big retailers seems to run one every month or so.

MissRatty Wed 28-May-14 22:36:24

Check out camelcamelcamel - they have an Amazon price tracker, so you'll get a good idea of the right price to pay. I wouldn't be without my machine now!

HeavenK76 Thu 29-May-14 04:17:10

I bought mine during easter sale, £50 on Amazon

mrsleomcgary Sun 01-Jun-14 10:14:53

I LOVE the perfect prep machine!

Been using it since dd was 3weeks old and had no problems. My hv did express some concerns about the water not being boiled and cooled but said herself that's because it's a pretty new piece of kit and I'm only the second mother she's had that uses one,so her concern was more that she doesn't know much about it rather than any actual concerns if that makes sense?

I have been known to put cooled water in it but usually only if there's some left in the kettle from making a cuppa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now