ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Sertraline and breast feeding?

(12 Posts)
Rachie1986 Sat 24-May-14 21:03:14

Anyone been on Sertraline and breastfed? Been prescribed and pretty sure dr knew I'm still fb but leaflet says it transfers into milk so worrying about starting...

DocDaneeka Sat 24-May-14 21:05:55

Yes. It's the main one prescribed for bf women. I took it for 8 months, all whilst bf.

Doctor advised me there was no problem with it. Not compared to baby having a mum with PND. which I did most definitely have.

KayVerinder Sat 24-May-14 21:10:32

Yes, I took it and breast fed until DD was 26 mo.

No problems here at all, in fact it was the best thing I did for myself.

One day (and you are NOT supposed to) I just stopped taking it and have been ok since.

I really hope it works for you like it did for me.

Sillylass79 Sat 24-May-14 21:23:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rachie1986 Sat 24-May-14 21:30:26

Thank you ladies.

Another q - when did you take it (time of day)? Does it matter? I think morning as it won't be in milk overnight when I make the most.. But then night as I could sleep through side effects (if I get any)...?

ilovetosleep Sat 24-May-14 21:34:22

I took this from 6 months and bf til 22mo. I took it after the bedtime feed as I found it made me a bit tired (although I may have imagined it) and I thought I'd feed less in the 12 hours following it. As it turns out DS had other ideas and fed through the night until he was 18mo. But obviously he's fine and I completely trust that its safe to take while BF.

DocDaneeka Sun 25-May-14 16:07:18

It builds up in your system, so don't try to time around feeds. If you are taking it then it will be present.

Take it at the time of day that works for you. If it makes you sleepy then take it at night, if, like me you get restless just after you take it then take it it the morning.

Totally agree with Kay, no problems with it. It's the best thing I did for myself.

leedy Sun 25-May-14 16:23:02

Took it for a year or so when feeding DS1, no ill effects on him at all and worked brilliantly for my PND. Had a few side effects for the first few weeks and then was absolutely fine.

I took it in the morning as it also made me feel a bit restless/buzzy straight after taking it (like I'd just had a strong cup of coffee)

elsiewoo Sun 25-May-14 18:23:05

I took it for 6 months with my first, breastfeeding the whole time, and now taking again with my second baby. No problems at all, best thing I could have done both times. Take it in the morning, after the first few weeks I no longer have any side effects at all.

Guin1 Wed 28-May-14 15:46:31

I started taking it about 5 months into my pregnancy and continued throughout 15 months of breastfeeding. No problems with it.

lucy101 Thu 29-May-14 05:29:19

I found a study(a small one) that showed in a group of bf mothers on 150mg a day in approx. half there was no sertraline in the breastmilk and in the other half there was only a trace which reassured me.

I am also a very, very different place after only 3 weeks on it with no side effects (luckily). I wouldn't have believed it was possible a month ago.

CinnabarRed Thu 29-May-14 05:43:50

I'm another to add to your stats - breastfed DS2 and DS3 on Sertraline with no issues at all (and was taking it all through DS3's gestation).

And, just like lucy101 found, it turned round my PND incredibly quickly. Best thing I could have done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now