Mystery green poo week in 16wk EBF baby- any suggestions?

(7 Posts)
Toadsrevisited Fri 23-May-14 11:49:18

DS is EBF and 16 weeks. He's been feeding and pooing well throughout. Suddenly on Monday he started having short feeds followed by green diarrhoea every hour or so. It's carried in for for four days. GP and HV can't decide what's going on. Some things it could/ couldn't be:
Jabs- cancelled the 16 week ones for now as he's ill. Going next week instead.
Tummy bug- possible (I have had a slightly upset tummy for one day). GP sent away a sample and came back negative for rotavirus etc. could still be a normal bug.
Teething. No sign of teeth. Had been dribbling until last week but that's stopped now.
GP is now suggesting he could have developed a cows milk intolerance so I'm going dairy free for two weeks.
HV came to see if it could be a feeding problem but that seems unlikely as we've been EBF for four months with no issues.
Could it be linked to shorter feeds as he is looking around all the time? I've been feeding in one boob for several short 'snack' feeds to try to avoid him missing out on hindmilk.

Help! Am baffled! And the 15 poos a day continue!

GingerRodgers Fri 23-May-14 11:52:42

My dd had times when her poo would turn green and occasionally frothy confused but all seemed fine with her. She was ebf and had all sorts of colour poos and many different textures! Their digestive systems change all the time as they mature and as long as baby seems fine in itself I'd not worry too much.
Obviously if that changes at any point, get them seen straight away.

BikeRunSki Fri 23-May-14 11:54:08

Green poo, frothy poo, changing in feed patterns - all normal as tummies develop.

Toadsrevisited Fri 23-May-14 12:03:07

That's what I thought at first, and we've had a whole range of colours over time- but I went to GP this time as it was like dark green water and smelled revolting, so HV suggested getting him checked out. It looked like something from a pond sample.

josephine1986 Fri 23-May-14 12:55:43

My dds poo was exactly like this with milk and fish allergy but from week.2 or 3
They can be allergic to anything, not just dairy.
Anything unusual you ate in the day/s preceding?
If not and in the absence of other synptoms i would hesistate to remove dairy from your diet. It is a hugely restrictive step as pretty much all propared food contains milk.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Fri 23-May-14 13:02:45

My two used to get this when they were having a bit of a growth spurt. I'd have oversupply from the increased demand, which means more foremilk for a few day until we caught up with each other. Once your body adjusts to the new feeding pattern, you'll have more hind milk which should settle the poo back to a nice yellow again! You may also notice more wind from the new feeding pattern. The block feeding may help, but make sure you allow your baby to feed regularly on both sides and the demand is stimulated. If baby is otherwise well, I wouldn't worry once it doesn't last much longer than a week.

Toadsrevisited Fri 23-May-14 15:41:01

Thank you all for the advice. Can't think of anything unusual that I've eaten but will keep thinking.

Am sceptical myself about the non dairy idea (and already supremely bored of black tea) so may ignore that one for a few more days and see if he improves regardless.

I hope it only lasts a week- can't face washing many more green nappies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now