Breastfeeding & PND

(8 Posts)
Jellybellymummyofsix Thu 22-May-14 10:35:11

I'm on anti depressants for PND. Dd is 14 weeks & ebf. I'm exhausted. Dp is utterly useless to the point I've asked him to leave.

I'm questioning why I'm bf. I never did with the older dc & they are fine. They were all sleeping through the night by dd age. She's feeding more often in the day as she's getting older so it's harder.

The problem is I feel guilty to stop but i need to look after myself for all the dcs sake. The antidepressants will probably be increased so how much good is bf for dd.

I wish I'd ff her as planned, bfhas made everything more complicated.

WWYD?

Thanks.

leedy Thu 22-May-14 14:04:32

Oh, you poor thing, that sounds like a perfect storm of crapness. Agreed that you need to look after yourself before anything else, PND is vile.

Some things from my own perspective (I BF DS1 on antidepressants from when he was about 2 months til he was over a year):

- BF is still very good for your DD even if you're on antidepressants (I did it on 100mg daily of sertraline and was told it would have been fine even if I'd upped the dose again)
- BF will definitely, definitely get easier if you do decide to continue. You're still in the bootcamp phase of frequent feeding and neverending growth spurts, the feeds will space out A LOT as she gets older. There'll still be blips in terms of night wakings etc. but you'll hopefully reap the benefit of having food on tap wherever you go without being pinned to the couch all day.
- From talking to various friends who stopped BF because of wakey babies, there is unfortunately no guarantee FF will make her sleep through the night.

All that said, if you eventually decide you'd be happier stopping, stop. Formula is still a perfectly good way to feed your DD. One of the (many) things that really pissed me off when I was depressed was people assuming for me what I'd "really" like to do - "oh, you must really want to stop BF to get a break!" "gosh, don't beat yourself up about stopping BF!" "don't let that pressure to BF affect you!" - when in my case BF was one of the few things I actually did feel ok about and helped me feel relaxed. So go with your gut, not with what people think you're supposed to want! Take care of yourself.

BeingAMummyIsFabulous Thu 22-May-14 20:13:03

Oh you poor thing. You are having a crappy time. Virtual Big hug & a cup of tea for you. It is very hard at 14 weeks, I remember it well...growth spurts, extra feeds etc etc. You must go with what is best for you and baby...you have done so well to get to this point, and she's had all this goodness from you that she wouldn't have got in the beginning if you hadn't have breast fed. If you decide to stop feeding, you have NOTHING to feel guilty about, you got to this point and tried your hardest....that's all you could have done. Good luck.

Jellybellymummyofsix Thu 22-May-14 21:01:39

I think i will start to introduce bottles of formula from this weekend. Dp & I are separating so at least he'll be able to take her out.

I need to get her into a more structured routine so ate least ff will make that easier.

I don't know if ebf & pnd are connected or if it's the exhaustion! I wish i had thought about this when I started bf but i didn't expect to bf for more then a few days.

BeingAMummyIsFabulous Thu 22-May-14 22:31:00

You are doing your best and that is what counts. Bring up a a baby is difficult enough, but whilst going through a separation and battling with PND...I'm sure it seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You are right about the formula being able to form structure and routine. I'm sure you have, but if you haven't, perhaps start a bedtime routine...we did from 8 weeks, as I was getting to the end of my teather with not having any evenings to myself. I'm not saying it worked all the time, but it was something to keep structured if you see what I mean. Best of luck Jelly.

BeingAMummyIsFabulous Thu 22-May-14 22:31:49

You are doing your best and that is what counts. Bring up a a baby is difficult enough, but whilst going through a separation and battling with PND...I'm sure it seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You are right about the formula being able to form structure and routine. I'm sure you have, but if you haven't, perhaps start a bedtime routine...we did from 8 weeks, as I was getting to the end of my teather with not having any evenings to myself. I'm not saying it worked all the time, but it was something to keep structured if you see what I mean. Best of luck Jelly.

BeingAMummyIsFabulous Thu 22-May-14 22:32:31

Sorry about the double post!! blush

leedy Fri 23-May-14 11:22:17

EBF and PND aren't specifically connected (hence my annoyance at people assuming I'd want to/need to stop) and for some women BF can be helpful for PND, but exhaustion definitely doesn't help AT ALL - and PND makes feelings of anxiety and stress about baby about a million times worse in my experience. Best of luck! Hope you're also feeling benefit from your meds and if not that the changed dose will work for you. I needed to up my sertraline from 50mg to 100mg as I was still feeling a bit wibbly after six weeks on the original dose. Once the new dose kicked in I was like a new woman.

Oh, and if you are cutting down BF to mixed feed (which might be a good option?) or exclusively FF, do it slooooooowly. a)to help your boobs adjust but importantly because b)stopping too quickly can cause a hormone crash which is not good for your mood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now