Baby crying during feeds

(19 Posts)
Trinpy Wed 21-May-14 13:50:36

Ds is 6 weeks and ebf. Recently he's started crying towards the end of every feed. He is still hungry but is crying while feeding. In the end he gets to the point where he can't even latch on for screaming. If I try to stop feeding them he cries because he's still hungry. I thought it was tiredness but he is doing this after long naps too.

Its so frustrating, why's he doing it?

Is it wind? Mine's the same age & often screams if he needs to burp/fart. Is he squirming around?

BuilderMammy Wed 21-May-14 15:22:07

DS did this to varying degrees till he was 8 months old. He had severe silent reflux.

stargirl1701 Wed 21-May-14 16:29:31

DD was like this. It was silent reflux.

Toadsrevisited Wed 21-May-14 16:34:50

Wind? Or sometimes DS wants the other boob, which could be to do with foremilk and hind milk I suppose. So he has had a long feed on one side and is full, then wants a 'drink' of foremilk?

Trinpy Wed 21-May-14 17:54:32

He does get a lot of trapped wind, but he has always had that. Burping him doesn't seem to make much difference, but maybe I should try it for longer?

I do hear him swallowing back sick after feeds, but could he still have silent reflux if he was being sick a lot too? I took him to the gp when he was 3 weeks old because he was spitting up so much milk and crying/screeching everytime he did. I thought he might have reflux, but she said all babies have reflux and he is gaining weight well so it's not a problem.However, he feeds very regularly - every 1-2 hours so I think as long as something stays down he is still getting milk.

Have you had him checked (ideally by a lactation consultant) for tongue tie, including posterior tongue tie?

StretchyCat Fri 23-May-14 07:41:14

Silent reflux I would say, especially as you can hear him gulping back. Does he cough and splutter a lot as well, especially after a burp. My ds was/is the same he's 3 months now and been on ranitidine for the past week and it's made an improvement, no more mid feed screaming and much less pulling off and fussing.

I would go to the doctor and see what they think, I wish I'd gone earlier, but I thought it was all to do with my fast let down and didn't think of reflux. Good luck

stargirl1701 Fri 23-May-14 10:23:04

I had to see 6 different GPs in 8 consecutive days to get a paediatric referral for DD's silent reflux.

Trinpy Fri 23-May-14 11:34:38

He's been checked twice for tongue tie. Not because of any issues, just checked as a matter of course.

He coughs, chokes and splutters regularly during feeds and has started choking after feeds too now if he's put on his back to sleep. I thought it was just me having a fast let down but he does it when dh bottle feeds him expressed milk too.

Think I'm going to try and get a GPS appointment for today because he hasn't been able to finish a feed all morning and is crying with hunger.

stargirl1701 Fri 23-May-14 12:17:28

We videoed a feed on my phone. This seemed to convince the GP. She was quite shocked at how little DD fed before the screaming started.

Trinpy Fri 23-May-14 20:29:37

stargirl I would have happily got my boob out and Fed him right in front of the gp if I had to! I did think about it to prove my point...

Doctor I saw today prescribed gaviscon. We've tried it on 1 feed so far but he projectile vomited it all back up straight away sad. Going back in 2 weeks for a review.

stargirl1701 Sat 24-May-14 08:06:32

We found Gaviscon useless, a PITA and it made DD constipated.

Ranitidine made a difference for us in the early days of silent reflux. There are different dosing levels and you'll probably be offered the lowest dose initially.

Keep going back until you feel happy. There are solutions.

Trinpy Sat 24-May-14 13:32:57

Are those all things that the gp can prescribe? I know gaviscon can cause constipation, I was thinking of only giving it 4 times a day to begin with and seeing how it goes. Since yesterday's projectile vomit he's barely been sick at all and so far this morning has only been fussing during feeds rather than crying, so there is some improvement. He still seems to be in a lot of discomfort though and still feeding hourly, which I thought would improve once he'd stopped being sick.

The other night I got him to sleep and put him in his crib while I went downstairs to get ready for bed and when I came back up I could hear him choking. He was lying on his back looking upwards (so head not to one side) and red in the face making gasping noises. I sat him up and after a few seconds was able to cough and breathe normally again. He didn't sick anything up though. I'm scared to leave him on his own for a minute now bbecause I don't know how risky it is if it happened again and I wasn't there. I've propped up one end of the crib on books. Mentioned it to the gp yesterday and she didn't seem too concerned.

stargirl1701 Sat 24-May-14 23:13:34

Some GPs just don't seem to get it. The GP did prescribe Ranitidine but wouldn't go further than that. We needed to see a consultant by 5 months as things were getting worse not better.

Have you heard of:

www.littlerefluxers.co.uk/m

Very helpful & knowledgable people.

Trinpy Sun 25-May-14 09:32:43

Thanks for the link stargirl. I've been up all night with ds, so have been skinning through all the threads on there, it looks really helpful.

He's been so uncomfortable all night. I've had to sit up with him because he keeps choking. If he's not iimproving over the next few days I'll take him back to the gp.

Trinpy Sun 25-May-14 09:33:25

Skimming not skinning

stargirl1701 Sun 25-May-14 15:23:01

If he is vomiting then domperidone (sp?) might be an idea. DD was never sick so we didn't have this.

Is your HV any good? Mine was able to push for a consultant appt for us too.

Trinpy Sun 25-May-14 17:40:13

Think I'm going to have to look up all these different medications so I know how they all work.

Thanks for the tip about the hv, I didnt think about that. My hv is really nice but very young (I sound like my Gran saying that) so I don't know how much experience she has of all this, but I will definitely talk to her about it and see if she can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now