End of the journey? - bf

(5 Posts)
Rachie1986 Sun 11-May-14 17:15:00

Dd is 4months old. Currently bf apart from 1 bottle each afternoon, plus bottle if she wakes in the night.

The last week I've had milk lumps every day but 1. I've had lots generally but just had enough really and thinking of changing over to completely ff. but I worry I'm just doing it for me and the best thing for her would be if I carry on. I'm just falling out of love with bf really. I can't go out too long as even though she'll take a bottle I get so full and uncomfy..

I guess I just want someone to tell me it's ok to stop now. Mil doesn't help telling me that if you have a ff baby and they get a stomach but you're not allowed to feed them but you can keep feeding if they are bf? Also she fed all if hers 1yr+, I know she's gonna judge..,

Lorelei353 Sun 11-May-14 17:22:43

It's your decision. Your dc has got the wonderful benefits of colostrum and then the benefits of bf early on. In a few weeks you'll be introducing solids anyway and formula is great for babies in the meantime.
You don't need permission. You do what's right for you and what you feel is best for your baby and family.

ExBrightonBell Sun 11-May-14 17:32:38

It's entirely your decision, if you feel it is right for you and your baby. Your MIL will not be able to make you feel guilty if you know that deciding to 100% formula feed is best for you and your baby.

What your MIL means about when babies get an upset tummy is that breastmilk is not treated as a "food" it is classed as a "clear liquid". So you can keep breastfeeding through a stomach bug. It will help to keep them hydrated and prevent dehydration. Similarly, if a baby needs to be "nil by mouth" say for an operation, then you can still breastfeed where you couldn't give formula.

FrankelandFilly Sun 11-May-14 19:27:59

You have to do what is right for you. I gave up BF at 8 weeks, one week ago, because a) DD was not getting sufficient milk from me (she'd lost weight and would scream with hunger) and b) my sanity was being affected - I'd come to dread every feed and would cry 9 times out of 10 because I knew she wasn't satisfied.

It was the best decision I could have made. In just a week I feel like a new woman and DD is like a different baby - happy and content and rarely cries.

Formula is not evil, yes I'd have liked to have continued to breast feed for longer but my sanity and the happiness of my daughter was more important.

ArtFine Sun 11-May-14 21:02:01

If you feel it's the right time, just stop. You've done so well to get this far. Your baby needs and wants a happy mum, so do whatever makes you most happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now