Please tell me your bf success stories

(28 Posts)
LavalavalavaLamp Sun 11-May-14 10:01:04

Dd is 5 weeks, ebf but not gaining weight amongst other issues.
Please can you tell me your bf success stories? I need some encouragement that I will crack this and it will get better.

Monikita Tue 03-Jun-14 10:24:10

We had a terrible start that wasn't fixed until DD was 21 weeks old. Painful feeds, poor weight gain, low supply. I was ttold she had the perfect latch and no tongue tie by bf support and HVs. GP told me I couldn't make enough milk and to give formula.

Was exclusively pumping for 8 weeks with ff top ups.

Finally got a private lactation consultant in who diagnosed posterior submucosal tongue tie. She had really poor tongue mobility and a really shallow latch. Got it cut twice (done poorly so it reattached with worse mobility - if you get divided, I'd recommend using a surgeon or dental surgeon, not a lactation consultant).

Finally got her upper lip tie and tongue tie lasered, and then brought her back to the breast with lots of skin to skin and bed sharing (she also had breast aversion by then). She was also diagnosed with CMPI around this time.

I bf her to 14 months when she weaned due to me getting pregnant and I went back to work when she was 8 months. She's a very healthy and cheeky 16 month old now!

Do whatever's right for the two of you (and your sanity!). You've already done amazingly to get this far x

Sorry for the essay!

LavalavalavaLamp Tue 03-Jun-14 15:48:25

Feeling less emotional in the light of day. Wow monikita that really is a success story following a load of shit.
Fingers crossed tongue tie is the source of our issues and the snip sorts us out.

LavalavalavaLamp Tue 03-Jun-14 15:49:15

Sorry, meant to say thank you everyone for replying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now