BF - how often does your baby feed?

(9 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sat 10-May-14 17:33:58

In my baby's early days he was having about 12 feeds a day, there was no pattern to them, I just fed him based on his feeding cues. I asked my midwife about how much a baby should be feeding and she said that as long as they feed at least 6 times a day then she wouldn't be concerned.

He is now 7 weeks and seems to have a very established pattern and only feeds about 7 times now in a 24 hour period. His first feed of the day is generally at about 4am and his last one at 11pm. He's having lots of wet nappies and is gaining weight very well (just under the 75th percentile) but when I read posts from other b.feeding women it seems their babies are still feeding much more frequently.

How often does your young baby feed?

Also, is it an issue with my supply that DS can go 5 hours without a feed overnight??

Misty9 Sat 10-May-14 20:01:41

My baby is 3wks old and feeds roughly 3 hourly during the day and night, though sometimes can go 4hrs overnight. With ds he fed 2 hourly until 10 months old. They're all different I think.

Greenstone Sat 10-May-14 20:05:11

Sigh... sounds amazing. Sounds fine too, you'll know by the nappies anyway. It may not last and he might suddenly decide he wants to feed every 90.minutes. Or he might stay as he is! Enjoy it for now.

Ericadm Sun 11-May-14 05:41:20

My baby is 15 weeks old. He goes 7-10 hours without feed overnight but feeds every 2 hours in the day, generally about 8 feeds in total, so I still spend most of the day sitting on the sofa!

My DS is nearly 6 weeks and only has about 7/8 feeds a day. He tends to cluster in the evening and has two feeds overnight anywhere around 1-2 and them 5-6ish.

Except this morning when he has woken me at 5 and, by the time we reached the sofa, has fallen fast asleep again confused

He's gaining really well & is a content little soul so far, so no concerns here.

CountBapula Sun 11-May-14 06:21:47

DS2 is six weeks old and feeds almost constantly when awake, but he sleeps quite a bit during the day and then cluster feeds in the evenings. Usually goes 3-4 hours at night, but last night slept 11-5 (happy days!).

JellyStrawberries Sun 11-May-14 10:01:47

My first was going that long at night at that age, in fact at ten weeks he was doing 9 or 10 hours (it didn't last once he hit the four month sleep regression). I am desperately hoping his little brother takes after him but no signs so far at nearly five weeks and very frequent feeds still - too many to count!

blueberrypudding Sun 11-May-14 15:35:39

My six week old tends to feed every hour when she's awake in the daytime (she has a hard time napping), and about two and a half hours if we're out and about and she's fallen asleep in the pram. She can go for three hours between feeds at night at a stretch.

She's a really chubby baby but I'm taking heart in the commonly held notion that you can't overfeed a BF-ed baby!

Your schedule sounds incredible - would love it if she manages to get to that point. smile

Writerwannabe83 Sun 11-May-14 16:39:18

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it's nothing to worry about that.

During his first few weeks he'd be feeding for 30 minutes at a time but now he can completely empty the breast in 10 minutes - he's a complete milk monster. He's been wanting to feed a bit more frequently today actually and my boobs feel a bit fuller, I'm thinking it may be a growth spurt?! Who knows.

I will continue to enjoy this regime whilst it lasts then as I know things can change overnight grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now