Milk lump can't clear, agony

(9 Posts)
Rachie1986 Fri 09-May-14 19:41:39

Dd, 19wks, nearly exclusively bf.

Have had milk lumps/blocked ducts lots before but got a really huge lump one side, it's agony and even stops me holding dd comfortably.

I've tried... Paracetamol/ibuprofen, frequent feeding, hot compress, diff feeding positions, massaging it, hot shower etc,

Please help it's been 48hrs now.

Donki Fri 09-May-14 19:44:21

No suggestions but much sympathy. Blocked milk ducts can be agony...

Rachie1986 Fri 09-May-14 23:08:54

Thank you xx

TiredandGrumpy2014 Sat 10-May-14 07:25:23

I also have this problem a lot. Sometimes I do find it can take a good few days to clear for me so try not to panic and get stressed ( although it's so hard not to when you have a demanding baby to look after and are in agony just holding them!)

Keep checking the lumpy bit for reddness in case mastitis sets in- if it does go red or the swelling and pain doesn't ease soon then get to your gp- or out of hours service as it's the weekend.

Take care and you have my sympathy- its horrible!

Fairylea Sat 10-May-14 07:27:19

Try and get seen by a gp as soon as you can. You may need antibiotics.

Have you tried combing it?

TwentiethCenturyGirl Sat 10-May-14 07:30:30

I second the combing suggestion Rachie. I find that combing it towards the nipple in a hot shower really helps.

Rachie1986 Sat 10-May-14 10:33:22

Thank you lovely ladies. This morning spotted a tiny white spot on my nipple and remembered that can be a blocked duct. Managed to remove said white spot and a good feed later I think lump is gone. Phew!

Thanks again for all your advice xx

Donki Sat 10-May-14 10:35:01

So pleased for you.
I remember dreading feeds and the utter agony.....

11 years ago now thank goodness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now